Government at any level, from local to global, is essential for the development of society. It is among the most complex current professional settings, owing to the variety of activities and sectors, their interdependencies as well as the interplay between politics, policy and management.
The program places a strong emphasis on interaction with the professional world. Students are offered a variety of opportunities to explore the main challenges and drivers for choosing a specific career trajectory in the sectors covered, as well as for developing the skills that are needed to successfully work in that sector.
The program is organized into two main learning blocks. First, students are equipped to carry out policy analysis and evaluation through advanced analytical techniques, to design strategies and to manage projects. Second, they are supported in developing their unique professional profile through a careful selection of electives, a related internship program and thesis and by offering a variety of opportunities to study abroad. Majors offered in the Master of Science in Economics and Management of Government and International Organizations have been designed to meet the specific interests of students and the needs expressed by the job market.
at Bocconi (Milan)
The program begins with a special welcome. During the first three days, a program ‘toolkit’ will provide you with the soft skills you need and an introduction to the main professional trajectories you may pursue with this program. Courses in the first and second semester aim to provide students with two interrelated areas of expertise: sound policy analysis and advanced managerial skills in public and international organizations.
- Quantitative Methods
- Public Sector Strategy Making
- Legal Framework (National and International)
- Interplay Between Policy-Making and Politics
Students draft and lead the implementation of a strategic plan for a public or international organization; analyze the formal decision-making procedures of national and international organizations, and become familiar with the political dynamics of carrying out a thematic policy analysis.
- Functioning Dynamics of Global Markets
- P.A. Techniques of Budgeting and Accounting
- Performance Management in P.A. and I.O.
- Ex-ante Policy Appraisal and ex-post Policy Evaluation
- Business-Government Relations
- Management of I.O. and NGOs
This semester focuses on how to prepare and read a public budget and to implement a performance appraisal in the public sector; carry out advanced cost-benefit analysis supported by commonly used software packages; and effectively manage business-government relations including lobbying, public-private partnerships and public procurement.
at Bocconi (Milan) and /or abroad
- International Organizations (major A)
- Public Management and Business-Government Relations (major B)
- Social Enterprise and Not for Profit Organizations(major C)
- Healthcare (major D)
Study Abroad Programs
- Double Degrees with:
Hertie School of Governance (Berlin, Germany)
Sciences Po - Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris (Paris, France)
SUNY The State University of New York at Albany (Albany, US)
- Exchange Programs
Foreign languages (two languages)
Graduates in Economics and Management of Government and International Organizations generally have excellent access to the job market. Some will choose to do research and can continue their studies by pursuing a PhD program. Those seeking employment will find that options vary depending on their focus in this program and prior undergraduate studies, but fall into two broad areas:
Public management expert, able to deal with the rapidly changing processes of the public sector and the challenges faced by non-profits and NGOs at global level.
- Management expert in, or external consultant for, public administrations and international and supranational institutions, NGOs and non-profit organizations or social enterprises, companies and institutions in the healthcare and social health sectors
- Project manager or institutional building and development expert in the above areas
- Relationship manager or sectorial expert in private companies working for the public sector and healthcare
- Diplomatic career, subject to a state examination
Expert in public policy, who analyzes, develops and implements public policies at the local, national and – increasingly – international levels.
- Internal expert or external consultant in defining policies for public administration, public and private healthcare, infrastructure and industries
- Analyst on public policies in research firms, consulting firms, healthcare and social health organizations and large companies.
- Analyst in international and supranational healthcare and social health institutions.