Are you curious how logistics companies solve the puzzle of routing vehicles, ships and trains in the most efficient way? Would you like to apply your mathematical skills to ensure that airlines achieve optimal planning when making staff rosters? Operations Research is a broadly applicable discipline in which advanced quantitative methods are used to help better decision making. Quantitative Logistics studies the application of quantitative techniques to design, plan and control logistics systems. This programme trains you in both fields, while addressing real-life problems.
In this master you will learn how to apply the latest quantitative techniques and optimise real-life business challenges. In particular, you will learn how to tackle actual logistics problems ‘from data to advice’. This involves making a mathematical model, selecting an appropriate solution approach and implementing it as prototype software.
Is this the right choice for you?
Do you want your work to involve revenue management, transport planning and scheduling in railways, shipping lines and airlines or supply chain design? Or do you have a passion for science? Do you have sound academic training in econometrics, mathematics, physics or industrial, mechanical or systems engineering? Is your ambition to become an expert in logistics, supply chain management or workforce optimisation? Then you should seriously consider the business driven Operations Research and Quantitative Logistics programme.
In case you are thinking about studying Operations Research & Quantitative Logistics at Erasmus School of Economics, you will be well-prepared if:
- Your bachelor provided you with a strong quantitative and analytical background containing advanced mathematics, applied mathematics like operations research and programming.*
- Programming in languages like Java, Python or Matlab is something you enjoy and are good at.
- Tackling an issue all the way from problem formulation to implementation of a suitable solution approach is your kind of challenge.
- You are willing to work hard.
* Note that it is possible to do a pre-master programme to remove deficiencies.
Why study Quantitative Logistics and Operations Research in Rotterdam?
Rotterdam offers all the perks of a modern city, but it is probably best known as an epicentre of logistics. No wonder that this is the place to be if you want to become an expert who can truly add value in this sector.
This programme offers you:
- A unique practice-based approach
- Extensive knowledge of decision support systems and their underlying models and techniques
- A focus on quantitative skills, logistics service providers and case studies
- Close personal attention from staff that is known for their valued contributions to academic research and practical advice when dealing with complicated issues in the logistics sector
- Training in two quantitative fields of expertise that will give you an edge in the job market.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 23, 2018