The MSc Digital Architecture and Robotic Construction focuses on digital design methods and construction technologies in Architecture, Engineering, and Design. It provides a scientific and practical foundation and gives an overview of latest developments in Advanced Modelling, Computational Design, and Robotic Construction.
Digital technologies have altered the field of architecture and the architectural profession significantly – from design to production. In this context, the course combines the professional quality of an architectural qualification with the theory and practice behind the latest digital developments in the field.
You'll use computer-aided methods for design and study the construction and fabrication process in-depth. As part of the School of the Built Environment and Architecture, you'll work in a transdisciplinary environment where knowledge is shared. Architecture students are also able to work in our Architecture Design Studio, a dedicated studio space with views across the London landscape.
You'll be able to exploit LSBU's extensive industry connections during the course and your dissertation will be closely linked to practice. You'll be encouraged to work together with partners; an engineering company or another academic School within LSBU.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||12-18 months / 12 months||February; September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||28 months / 24 months||February; September||Southwark Campus|
- Integrative technologies and robotic manufacturing
- Advanced digital design techniques
- Design project material behavior
- Design project adaptive systems and structures
- Technology for building systems
- Design research architectural project
Modules will be assessed by a mix of coursework and examinations.
The Master's program opens up various possibilities for professional development. You could go on to work in the area of architecture, building construction, engineering, interior or product design. You could also work as a specialist or consultant in the field of computational design and robotic construction.
The course could also lead on to a Ph.D. or employment in engineering research.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Staff uses their professional connections to help students find work experience and job opportunities upon graduation. All students will be involved in the construction of a large-scale pavilion in central London.
Digital Architecture Robotic Lab
This advanced digital manufacturing robotic lab is designed for high-quality research, as well as developing commercial applications for architecture, and features a Kuka robotic arm that can produce architectural components.
The Architecture Studios
The Architecture Studio space at London South Bank University (LSBU) has inspirational views across London and is used on our undergraduate and postgraduate architecture degree courses.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) Centre
LSBU is helping transform the construction industry through its Building Information Modelling (BIM) Centre. The BIM Centre acts as a hub for innovation, professional training, and networking amongst practice experts in the built environment sector. These facilities are used by students and for short courses.
Teaching and learning
The academic team is qualified experts from all over the world, with experience in working with avant-garde technologies to gain the best results in architecture and design. In addition, all are actively involved in research and consultancy, which enables staff to draw on the latest industry developments in both lectures and practical work. You'll enjoy guest lectures from world experts.
The course makes extensive use of DARLAB (Digital Architectural Robotics lab), a research platform in architectural education that advances experimentation and cross-discipline collaboration among professors, students, and industry partners to expand the boundaries of architectural practice. The modules' contents are oriented toward integrated learning assignments. The course is delivered through lectures, seminars, projects, and internships.
You'll be supported throughout your final project by your tutors and will have access to a range of e-learning materials.
Currently, 50% of our full-time student cohort is from overseas. This allows our students to network across America, India, the Middle-East, Australia and Europe.
Applicants for this course must meet the following entry requirements:
- First degree in Architecture (minimum 2:1) from a RIBA recognized programme based in the UK, which offers the RIBA part 1 professional award; or
- First degree in Architecture (minimum 2:1 equivalent) from a RIBA recognized programme based outside the UK, which is validated as equivalent to RIBA part 1; or
- First degree in Architecture (minimum 2:1 equivalent) from an international university, which is validated by a recognized national or regional body; or
- Exceptionally, an excellent first degree in a design-based subject closely related to architecture. The school is committed to a policy of inclusivity and opportunity, each application and applicant will be considered on the merits of their wish to learn, and to explore architecture at higher degree level.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018