This postgraduate Masters course is uniquely designed for both computing and non-computing graduates wishing to pursue a career in data science community.
Data science is at the intersection of the fields of computer science, statistics, and design. In a rapidly evolving world, new types of big data are emerging from mobile devices, sensors, instruments, transactional systems, weblogs, social media, the cloud and other sources. Businesses are accumulating big data at a rate that often exceeds their capacity to extract value from it.
MSc Data Science is ideally placed to provide you with technical knowledge and employer-focused skills required in a data scientist role. The course will develop your specialist knowledge of data acquisition, data cleansing, data analysis, information extraction, prediction, visualization, story-telling, and explanation.
You'll gain hands-on experience using industry-standard tools for data science, business intelligence, and analytics including SAS, Tableau MS SQL Server, Oracle Database, and R Programming.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time (BLOCK)||September||Southwark Campus|
- Research methods and professional issues
- Future internet technologies
- Statistical analysis and modeling
- Business intelligence
- Data management
- Machine learning
- Data mining and analysis
- MSc thesis
All modules are assessed by a mix of coursework and examinations.
Career opportunities range from IT services to business consultancy, and this course will prepare you for a career in the business intelligence community working actively with a range of resources including tools from major commercial vendors such as Microsoft and SAS.
As a graduate of this course, you should be able to work within the areas of business intelligence or business and data analytics, in roles such as a business intelligence specialist, data or business analyst or business intelligence developer.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
You are encouraged to actively seek placements, work experience, and voluntary work during your studies to improve your CV and to give you the opportunity to put theory into practice. Many opportunities are offered through the University's central Employability team, who can support you in finding a placement.
Teaching and learning
You'll make use of our e-learning suite and learn in a combination of lectures, seminars, workshops and private study. You'll have access to specialist software including Microsoft SQL Server 2012, Netbeans 7.x with Java 7, Oracle, Python, SAS and Visual Paradigm.
- 2:2 UK honors first degree or international equivalent in a relevant subject; or
- A Higher National Diploma in a relevant subject and a minimum of three years relevant professional experience; or
- We recognize that many people have a wealth of valuable skills and knowledge they've developed at work or through training. If candidates have the potential to succeed in postgraduate or post-experience studies we'll consider their application on its individual merit. Applications may be considered where candidates demonstrate a combination of educational qualifications and work experience.
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.5.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018