Data Science is one of the hottest new fields in technology, driving innovation both at technology leaders such as Google and Facebook, as well as in established markets such as security, healthcare, and energy. A data scientist is one of the hottest new jobs of the last decade, with high demand, high salaries, and high marks for job satisfaction.
Learn to Extract Insights from Data
Data Science is an emerging field that combines methods from machine learning, artificial intelligence, and statistics with entirely new technologies for handling vast amounts of complex and quickly-changing data. The job of a data scientist is to apply these methods to gather information and achieve goals that are otherwise impossible for human experts due to the large quantities and complexity of the data.
In the University of New Haven’s M.S. in data science program, you will develop proficiencies in the key skills expected of leading data scientists, including deep learning and statistical analysis, and the data skills needed to work with unstructured data and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
Possible roles and applications include:
- Energy: Creating a system for the best distribution of electricity on a city’s power grid, to maximizing utilization of wind and solar resources through quickly-changing weather conditions.
- Commerce: Detecting and adapting to patterns of fraudulent transactions in the 500 billion online transactions performed each day.
- Healthcare: Developing systems for monitoring data collection captured by wearable devices to identify potential warning signs at an early stage.
- Law Enforcement: Identifying potential warnings of upcoming terrorist activity by scanning the thousands of hours of video uploaded to YouTube each day.
There’s a reason why “data scientist” has been named the country’s top job over and over again. The demand for skilled data scientists is high, salaries are well above average, and job satisfaction tops the charts. There has never been a better time to advance your technical skills and capabilities, strengthen your leadership and communication skills, and emerge as a high-performing data scientist.
The chart below shows the top five jobs in America, according to Glassdoor, and other jobs in the top 50 related to data science, analytics, and big data
|2018 Rank||Job Title||Job Score||Job Satisfaction||Median Base Salary||Job Openings|
Learn from professors who are dedicated to your success.
Our faculty are leaders and innovators in their fields, bringing both deep professional experience and academic rigor to the classroom.
Nationally Recognized Center for Career Development
All University of New Haven students have access to the many resources available through the University’s Career Development Center, which has been named one of the best in the nation by The Princeton Review.
From career assessments, networking, and job shadowing to on-campus interviews and salary negotiation, the Career Development Center provides the skills and connections to identify a meaningful career and an opportunity to pursue your passion.
Selected Courses and Programs
- Machine Learning and Data Analysis
- Data Science Leadership and Entrepreneurism
- Distributed and Scalable Data Engineering
- Unstructured Data and Natural Language Processing
About the School
Founded on the Yale campus in 1920, the University of New Haven is a private, coeducational university situated on the coast of southern New England. It’s a diverse and vibrant community of 7,000 stud ... Read More