geralt / Pixabay
The M.S. in Data Science is offered jointly by the departments of Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering.
The M.S. in Data Science is a program that may be completed in as little as one year of study, or at a student's own pace. Prerequisites for the M.S. in Data Science include a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field, including Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline. Applicants with bachelor’s degrees in non-STEM fields can begin study with a Certificate in Data Science that, in an additional term or year, gives the applicant a sample of the program. The courses in the certificate, upon successful completion with a grade of B- or better and admission to the M.S. in Data Science, may be transferred to apply to the M.S. in Data Science program.
Requirements for the degree include nine courses, and must include:
- EE 104 Probabilistic Systems Analysis
- COMP 135 Introduction to Machine Learning and Data Mining
- COMP 119 Big Data
Four electives must include:
- One course in data infrastructure (including Computer Science 112, 115, 116, 117, 118, and 151)
- One course in data analysis and/or interfaces (including Computer Science 152, 167, 171, 175, 177; ME 150; CEE 187)
- One course in computational and theoretical aspects of data analysis (including COMP 131, 136, 153, 160, 236; Math 123, 126, 128, 152, 155, 158, 161, 162; EE 109, 127, 140
- Final course credit may be fulfilled by a course in the practice of data science (COMP 154), or a master’s project in Data Science (COMP 283)
Eight more credit hours are required in categories a-c in consultation with the student’s advisor.
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement
- Official GRE scores
- GRE not required for current Tufts undergraduates applying to the M.S. degree program
- GRE scores may be waived for part-time students with five years of industry experience who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Visit go.tufts.edu/engmasters for complete details. If you believe you are eligible to have the GRE waived based on these requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Engineering part-time Master's GRE requirement"
- Official TOEFL or IELTS, if applicable
- Three letters of Recommendation