MSc in Chemistry & Biochemistry

University of Montana

Program Description

MSc in Chemistry & Biochemistry

University of Montana

The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers graduate study leading to M.S. degrees. The diverse interests of the faculty allow graduate students to pursue research in any of the following areas: environmental, biochemistry, organic, organometallic, analytical or physical chemistry in addition to chemical education.

Our department emphasizes close interactions with students. Faculty and staff provide a supportive and responsive environment that is not always possible in large departments. Students will also find that the department has a nationally competitive and productive research program.

The Master of Science degree is also offered in inorganic, organic, physical chemistry and analytical/environmental chemistry. The course program consists of a broad core program plus electives approved by an advisory committee. Thesis and non-thesis options are available, although the thesis option is usually preferred.

Financial Support

The majority of graduate students in chemistry receive either a teaching assistantship (TA) or research assistantship (RA) during the academic year plus a summer stipend to support research.

Job opportunities often are available for spouses of graduate students at the University or locally. These include teaching positions, government work, and work in the Missoula business community. The University also offers full-time employment information through the Office of Career Services, located in the Emma B. Lommasson Center, Room 154.

Teaching Assistantships

Most entering graduate students are supported initially through Teaching Assistantships. The normal teaching load is about eight contact and 15 total hours per week. TA duties may include leading a discussion or laboratory section, meeting with students in tutorials, proctoring exams and grading. These appointments also cover tuition and most fees.

Research Assistantships

Most students switch from teaching to research assistantship support after one or two years. RAs are available from research grants and contracts awarded by government agencies or private organizations. An RA often pays a student for the research leading to the M.S. or Ph.D. degree, greatly increasing the time a student may spend on research. RA stipends are similar to the TA stipend and cover tuition and most fees.

Summer Research Assistantships

Students are normally expected to work full time on research during the summer. Summer RA support is nearly always available to support students during this period. A beginning graduate student occasionally may obtain an RA the summer before he or she enters the graduate program. Such appointments are arranged between the student and individual faculty members.

Fellowships and Grants

The Department receives announcements of many fellowships/traineeships and grants for graduate students. These are described in the weekly departmental announcements collected by the administrative assistant. Bertha Morton fellowships are offered yearly by the University. Federal agencies (e.g., DOE, NASA, NSF, and NIH ) offer very attractive fellowship.


Many scholarships are available thanks to alumni and friends’ generous contributions to the Department’s endowment. These scholarships are awarded to our undergraduate and graduate students by selection from the faculty. Undergraduate awardees are selected based on the criteria below in addition to their academic performance and involvement in departmental research.

Entry Requirements

Any graduate of an accredited college or university may apply for admission to the Graduate School at the University of Montana. Contact the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry for information regarding required admission application materials, financial aid and teaching and research assistantships.

Undergraduate preparation should be equivalent to the requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry at the University of Montana. However, a student deficient in undergraduate preparation but who exhibits potential as a graduate student may be admitted on a provisional basis. Such a student may make up deficiencies after starting the graduate program, but doing so will lengthen the time necessary for completing the degree. Graduate students with provisional status are eligible for financial aid.

All applicants must submit the following information:

  1. Graduate Record Examination (The UM ETS Code number is 4489. The Department numbers are Organic, 304; Physical, 306; Analytical, 302; General, 301; Chemistry, 399; and Inorganic, 303.)
  2. One official transcript from each university or college previously attended
  3. A 100-300 word personal statement
  4. Three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to judge the applicant's potential as a graduate student in chemistry.
  5. Submit the online application to the Graduate School online.
  6. All non-native speakers must take either the TOEFL exam or the IELTS exam and submit the scores to The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.

All entering students must take a medical examination to be recorded on University health forms.

Admission Priority Deadlines

  • Fall - Priority will be given to complete application packets postmarked by February 1st. Complete Application packets received after this date will be considered on a space available basis.
  • Spring - Priority will be given to complete application packets postmarked by September 15th. Complete Application packets received after this date will be considered on a space available basis.
This school offers programs in:
  • English

Last updated September 29, 2017
Duration & Price
This course is Campus based
Start Date
Start date
Sept. 2018
Full time
USA - Missoula, Montana
Start date: Sept. 2018
Application deadline Request Info
End date Request Info
Sept. 2018
USA - Missoula, Montana
Application deadline Request Info
End date Request Info