MSc in Chemical Engineering
Location: Abu Dhabi
Chemical Engineering is a discipline that impacts numerous areas of technology. Chemical engineers conceive and design processes for the production, transformation and delivery of materials. These activities encompass experimentation in the laboratory as well as technology implementation at full-scale production.
Multiple industries depend on the synthesis and processing of chemicals and materials and this dependence places chemical engineers at the forefront of technological innovation. Today's chemical engineers are leading new developments in medicine, biotechnology, microelectronics, advanced materials, energy, consumer products, manufacturing, and environmental solutions. The multidisciplinary training of the chemical engineer is vital to the development of any process that involves the chemical or physical transformation of matter.
The mission of the Chemical Engineering Program at Masdar Institute is to provide students with the fundamental knowledge, skills, and professional experience necessary for successful careers in industrial or academic roles that involve alternative energy and sustainable technologies. Academics and research will collectively create an educational environment that shapes engineering science and design through interfaces with all engineering disciplines. Graduates of the program will address the technological needs of the global economy and human society while simultaneously learning to work collaboratively, conduct independent and multidisciplinary research, and communicate effectively.
The academic curriculum in the Chemical Engineering program is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of physical and chemical processes and how these processes related to engineering design and synthesis. The program’s core courses initially focus on advanced engineering fundamentals by covering topics in thermodynamics, transport phenomena, chemical reactor engineering and numerical methods. Further offerings provide depth in essential chemical engineering topics such as systems engineering and process chemistry. These courses collectively provide students with the ability to shape and solve complex problems, such as translating molecular information into new products and processes.
Chemical Engineering research at Masdar Institute emphasizes energy and the environment by applying engineering fundamentals to solve the world’s most pressing issues in the development and production of fuels, improvements in energy efficiency, and mitigation of the environmental impacts of engineering processes. This is accomplished through laboratory exploration of catalysis and reaction engineering, transport processes, materials, polymers, and surfaces and structures. Beyond the laboratory, systems design and engineering utilize mathematical tools to simulate the behaviour of the process and seek optimum operating conditions. Effective use of simulation and optimization tools allows exploration of optimal operating conditions at both the micro and macro level to achieve improved economy, reliability, and safety of chemical processes.
All students for all programs are required to take four program core courses. In addition, each student must complete the following:
- Three elective courses from any program with the approval of advisor
- One university core course – Sustainable Energy
- 24 credits of thesis work (3 for 1st year Fall; 3 for 1st year Spring; 6 for Summer; 6 for 2nd year Fall; 6 for 2nd year Spring)
Program Core Courses
- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- Analysis of Transport Phenomena
- Chemical Reactor Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- A relevant undergraduate degree - undergraduate degrees must be in the fields of science, engineering or information technology
- CGPA - The minimum required for consideration for admissions is 3.0 on a scale of 4.0
- GRE scores - The minimum score required on the GRE Quantitative is 700 (or 155 on the new scale). There is no cut-off score for the Verbal and Analytical but these scores are also important and evaluated. The GRE exam cannot be waived.
- TOEFL (or academic IELTS) - The minimum TOEFL score required is 91 (Internet-based) on the international TOEFL. Equivalent paper/computer-based TOEFL is also accepted. The TOEFL can only be waived for native English speakers. The minimum academic IELTS score required is 6.5.
- High grades and scores are a prerequisite but are no guarantee of admission. Admission standards are in accordance with those of MIT.
About the School
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology is the world’s first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability. A world-class research-driven univers ... Read More