The goal of this program is to train Cartographers with a professional cartographic approach based on high level theoretical and practical knowledge.
This program is recommended to applicants who want to able to manage and coordinate cartographic and geoinformatics research projects as well as to have the knowledge and skills to solve traditional cartographic or information technology-based problems.
This program provides students with a broad scale of knowledge in Cartography and Geoinformatics in combination with geography, other earth sciences, information technology, database management, web-based mapping services, etc. Students acquire the theory as well as the methodologies in the development and implementation of the latest visualization technics.
Strength of program
Cartography has become a modern and practical science again with the development of computerization. However, only a few higher education institutions offer this training at the master level.
The high standard of the training is guaranteed by highly qualified academic staff. Several of the teachers are involved in the leadership of national and international professional organizations of the related area and in editorial boards of journals in the field. Teaching is supported by modern infrastructure and well-equipped labs. Upper-year students and Ph.D. students help the first-year students in a mentor system to overcome their first challenges at the university.
- Cartographic Software
- Introduction to Cartography
- Map Design and Editing
- Map Projections 1
- Operating systems
- Photogrammetry and Remote sensing
- Processing of Remote Sensing Data
- Cartographic Visualization (lecture + practical)
- Complex Work Placement (min. 3 weeks)
- Geodesy and Topography (lecture + practical)
- Introduction to Programming
- Map Projections 2
- Spatial Databases
- Thematic Cartography (lecture + practical)
- 3D modeling in GIS
- Digital History of Cartography
- Geovisualization-based solutions in cartography (lecture + practical)
- Individual Cartographic Project
- Individual Geoinformatics Project
- Open Source Web GIS Programming
- Spatial System Design
- Digital Cartography
- Scripting Languages in Webcartography
- Web Cartography
- Coordinate Systems on the Earth Ellipsoid and on the Maps
- Navigation Systems
- Terminology of Cartography
Government offices, administration in local governments, research institutions, mapping agencies, archives, and private firms need a growing number of cartographers who have a solid background of geoinformatics. Business companies that have a strong involvement in various visualization problems (in print or in three-dimensions) are definitely interested in employing our young cartographers. Also, decision-makers often need GIS support for understanding the spatial relationship of features and social or natural phenomena.
Cartographer at national mapping agencies, in land registration, at private companies, publishers, geoinformatics firms.
The following BSc degrees are considered acceptable: cartography, geoinformatics (GIS), geomatics, geography, earth sciences. Partly acceptable BSc degrees: environmental science, computer science, surveying.
- A minimum level of language proficiency (oral) (A1-C2): B2
- A minimum level of language proficiency (written) (A1-C2): B2
Documents to submit with the application
- Online application form
- Bachelor-level degree
- Transcript of records
- Copy of the main pages of the passport
- Passport photo
- Medical certificate
- Copy of application fee transfer
The application starts on the online application system. Students need to register in the system, fill in the online application form, upload the required documents and follow the instructions during the application process.
About the School
Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE) - in terms of student and staff number, quality of education and research, and its international relations - is a prestigious institution of public higher education in ... Read More