The goal of this program is to train Cartographers with a professional cartographic approach based on high level theoretical and practical knowledge.
This program is recommended to applicants who want to able to manage and coordinate cartographic and geoinformatics research projects as well as to have the knowledge and skills to solve traditional cartographic or information technology-based problems.
This program provides students with a broad scale of knowledge in Cartography and Geoinformatics in combination with geography, other earth sciences, information technology, database management, web-based mapping services, etc. Students acquire the theory as well as the methodologies in the development and implementation of the latest visualization technics.
Strength of program
Cartography has become a modern and practical science again with the development of computerization. However, only a few higher education institutions offer this training at master level.
The high standard of the training is guaranteed by the highly qualified academic staff. Several of the teachers are involved in the leadership of national and international professional organizations of the related area and in editorial boards of journals in the field. Teaching is supported by modern infrastructure and well-equipped labs. Upper-year students and Ph.D. students help the first-year students in a mentor system to overcome their first challenges at the university.
- Introduction to Cartography
- Photogrammetry and Remote sensing
- Geodesy and Topography
- Complex Work Placement (min. 3 weeks)
- Operating systems
- Thematic Cartography (Lecture)
- Thematic Cartography (Practical)
- Map Design and Editing
- Geovisualization-based solutions in cartography (Lecture)
- Geovisualization-based solutions in cartography (Practical)
- 3D modelling in GIS
- Spatial application development
- Spatial System Design
- Open Source Web GIS Programming
- Individual Geoinformatics Project
- Processing of remote sensing data
- Individual Cartographic Project
Optional courses - at least 6 ECTS have to be obtained during the studies
- Image processing software development
- Desktop Publishing
- Navigation systems
- Scripting Languages in Web cartography
- The English language terminology of cartography
- Web cartography
- Coordinate systems on the earth ellipsoid and on the maps
- Output-oriented Digital Cartography
Degree thesis consultation - 5 ECTS
Degree thesis - 15 ECTS
Free credits - 6 ECTS
Government offices, administration in local governments, research institutions, mapping agencies, archives and private firms need a growing number of cartographers who have a solid background of geoinformatics. Business companies which have a strong involvement in various visualization problems (in print or in three-dimensions) are definitely interested in employing our young cartographers. Also, decision-makers often need the GIS support for understanding the spatial relationship of features and social or natural phenomena.
Cartographer at national mapping agencies, in land registration, at private companies, publishers, geoinformatics firms.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 27, 2018