Insights from business analytics can make or break an organisation. Develop the expertise to transform the fortunes of organisations large and small.
Big data is big business. As technology becomes more sophisticated, the power to harness information becomes more valuable. To keep up with competition and progress, businesses need graduates who can harness the power of big data, spot new opportunities and efficiencies.
This course gives you the ability to understand the applications, identify the opportunities and master the tools that turn business analytics into business impact.
You’ll cover a balance of techniques and practical skills, learning how big data can deliver the kind of insights that can cut costs, deliver efficiency and boost profits. There is a range of option units on offer, while your dissertation will offer you the chance to dive deep into a topic that interests you, so you’ll find plenty of opportunities to tailor your studies around your ambitions.
Learn from the Experts
While it’s a specialist field at the forefront of analytics, you don’t need advanced technical skills or a degree in business intelligence or analytics to join us. You can enrol with no prior knowledge of business or management, and develop the expertise needed for specialist roles in this rewarding field.
To explore the sector, you’ll get valuable insights into the important role business analysis plays in modern organisations through our guest lecture series. We invite experienced and active professionals from different areas of the industry to give you an idea of the potential career paths available to you when you graduate.
Features and Benefits
- Taught by experts - This course is delivered by academics who have their feet firmly in the world of consulting and they bring that practical experience into the classroom.
- Customisable degree – This course allows you to tailor your degree to specialise in areas that interest you the most.
- A city of opportunities – With global organisations, innovative start-ups and a thriving tech scene, Manchester offers a wealth of opportunities. Use our connections with employers to enhance your studies and professional networks.
- Real-life learning – Apply your new skills outside of your course, with an opportunity to take short-term internships with employers in the city.
- Unique insights – Learn from guest lecturers who are leading professionals.
- Employability – Attend a series of key industry events and masterclasses throughout your course and network with recruiting businesses.
Accreditations, Awards and Endorsements
- The Business School is accredited by the Association of MBAs. AMBA accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement in postgraduate business education.
- The Business School is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. This means we are internationally recognised for meeting global standards of excellence in business and management education.
The skills to discover and distil the value from big data are in high demand across the business world. With our MSc Business Analytics under your belt, you could be a valuable addition to organisations in a vast variety of industries – with an insight into the inner workings of business operations, together with the understanding to improve efficiency and find smarter ways of connecting with customers.
So, as well as traditional business analytics roles, this course could open doors to opportunities in areas such as:
- Big Data
- Cloud Computing
- Project Management
- Data Warehousing
- Software & Programmatic
- Customer Relationship Management
You may also choose to enter the field as a freelance business consultant or apply your new skills to create your own business.
96% of graduates go straight into employment or further study within six months of graduating.
DLHE survey 2017, for all respondents available for employment or further study and whose destinations are known.
Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or equivalent (including International), in any subject. We also welcome applications from candidates who may not have a degree but do have equivalent professional qualifications or significant, relevant management experience.
This course is suitable for students with a variety of academic and professional backgrounds. It aims to equip those who wish to pursue a managerial career with the required skills to understand and apply knowledge and understanding of Business Analytics. However, it should be noted that applicants are not expected to possess any significant technical skills when for applying for this course.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Please note: to apply for this course, you only need to provide one reference.
Meet the Experts
For companies across the world, in every sector and specialism, business analytics offers the route to streamlined operations, improved services, lower costs and higher profits. It’s a powerful tool that’s high in demand. Put simply, our MSc Business Analytics caters to a world of opportunities for you and your career.
It’s a specialist field, but the course is open to students from a wide variety of different academic or professional backgrounds. With a team that includes research-active academics and experienced professionals, we can help you become the kind of problem-solving, operation-enhancing, efficiency-finding professional that successful modern businesses can’t do without.
You’ll study seven core topics, covering areas from data modelling and business statistics, to decision making and data visualisation, as well as two option units – allowing you to tailor your studies to your passions and ambitions. From there, you’ll learn the masters-level study skills you’ll need to tackle a major piece of work, before going on to complete your dissertation project.
- Business Statistics
- Industry 4.0
- Data Management
- Data Modelling and Analysis
- Decision Making and Data Visualisation
- Strategy Enterprise Information Systems (from September 2020)
Choose two from a list including:
- Analytics in Marketing
- Financial Analytics
- Hospitality Business Analytics
- Business Intelligence
- Data Management and Machine Learning
Please note: all option units are subject to student numbers and timetables.
Assessment Weightings and Contact Hours
10 credits equate to 100 hours of study, which is a combination of lectures, seminars and practical sessions, and independent study. A Masters qualification typically comprises of 180 credits, a PGDip 120 credits, a PGCert 60 credits and an MFA 300 credits. The exact composition of your study time and assessments for the course will vary according to your option choices and style of learning, but it could be:
- Full-time: 50% lectures, seminars or similar; 0% placement; 50% independent study
- Full-time: 85% coursework; 0% practical; 15% examination
While this course doesn’t include any placement opportunities, you can gain useful work experience through the Business School’s Postgraduate Internship Programme. With a short-term internship, you’ll not only show potential employers that you’re ready to get to work, but you’ll also gain some vital experience and make some valuable connections for your professional network.
While an internship involves at least 100 hours of work – starting any time between November and early August – how you do those hours is flexible. You could work full time during a break in your studies, or you might do a day or two a week throughout term time, fitting it around your studies.
Department of Operations, Technology, Events and Hospitality Management
Our Operations, Technology, Events and Hospitality Management Department combines technology with creativity in a state-of-the-art learning environment.
The department stays closely linked with professional institutes, associations and businesses, as part of its founding principle of education working with industry to produce career-ready graduates.
UK and EU Students
- UK and EU students: Full-time fee: £9,250 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
Non-EU and Channel Island Students
- Non-EU international and Channel Island students: Full-time fee: £16,500 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits, a PGDip 120 credits, a PGCert 60 credits, and an MFA 300 credits. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of study provided the course is completed in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
Part-time students may take a maximum of 90 credits each academic year.
All of the books required for the course are available from the library. The University also has PC labs and a laptop loan service. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. Students may also need to print their assignments and other documents. Campus printing costs start from 5 pence per page. Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop, up to £100 each year for books and printing.
About the School
Manchester Met has a proud heritage dating back to 1824. We are also one of the largest universities in the UK with over 38,000 students. We have over 3,500 international students from more than 140 c ... Read More