This course will provide you with a dynamic understanding of the fundamentals of banking and finance in today's ever-changing market, preparing you with the knowledge and skill set needed for a successful career within the sector. Our graduates go on to work at companies including KPMG, Deloitte and RBS to name a few.
The MSc Banking and Finance is ideal for graduates who have not studied finance at the undergraduate level. The programme would also be suitable for those who hold an undergraduate degree in a business, economics or similar subject, who would like to develop specialised knowledge in finance. It is therefore ideal for those seeking a career in the banking, finance or financial services sectors.
The course may also be suitable for those who may not have a degree, but who possess relevant experience or professional qualifications.
You will have the opportunity to engage with current business, banking and financial issues through specialist input and the completion of the independent study. You will also be able to produce a substantial piece of original research into a banking or finance related issue. The course is career focused from both a capital and planning perspective and looks at the subjects of banking and finance from a holistic viewpoint. Whilst academic in format, the knowledge application and generic skills that you will learn have great relevance for a career in banking.
During your studies, you may have the opportunity to participate in:
- Industry visits to successful local brands and businesses
- Short-term internships with local employers
Features and benefits of the course
- You will be taught in the internationally recognised multi-award-winning Business School in Manchester city centre.
- You will receive complimentary access to Bloomberg, the leading global platform used by the worlds leading banks, corporations and government agencies for news, data, analytics and research.
- Read the latest post on our economics blog at: www.business.mmu.ac.uk/eomics
- There are opportunities to focus your assignments on your employment goals, or your current employer.
- You will have extensive access to real-world data and academic journals.
- Our academic team includes internationally renowned economists and finance specialists.
- Timetabled lectures and seminars are complemented by the guest lecture series run by the Accounting, Finance and Economics Society.
Teaching staff on this programme are highly experienced practitioners and active researchers.
Our postgraduate programmes aim to combine academic knowledge from leading research in the area with the professional skills that employers are seeking.
Our research in business and law brings together a number of synergistic research centres and knowledge clusters and our doctoral school of PhD researchers who work with teaching staff on the design of the programme.
- Advanced Finance
- Commercial and Investment Banking
- Risk Management for Financial Institutions
- Critical Perspectives in Ethics and Sustainability
- Corporate Finance
- Masters-level Learning
Choose two from:
- Corporate Strategy
- Financial Risk Management
- Financial Planning and Wealth Management
- Project Management Framework
- Financial Analytics
- Project Management Systems
- Critical Perspectives in Entrepreneurship
- Global Strategic Innovation
- Live Client Brief
- Uniwide Language
- Internship Project
You will have a minimum 2:2 degree UK undergraduate honours
degree (or international equivalent) preferably in a business,
economics or finance related subject.