The cities and territories in which an architectural designer works today are complex, strongly characterized and stratified, formed over time in different ways. The objective conditions of the environment we live in place design interventions on the built as primary and prevalent. The consumption logic applied until today has proved to be a waste of material and contents, supplying the need for an approach that places at its centre the assimilation of building, architectural and landscape heritage as resources to be protected and to which new centrality in the theory of sustainable design of the city and the territory, should be assigned.
This answers an ethic responsibility for architectural design which must correspond to the possession of specific technical and humanistic skills.
MSc Program in Architectural Design and History is in line with this attitude and offers a study plan characterised by an integrated disciplinary approach, clearly aimed at training an architectural designer who is educated and aware of history and, at the same time, able to face a complex and dynamic sphere like intervention in historical contexts and on built through appropriate and innovative methodologies.
Within this vision, the design of new on an urban and architectural scale is inserted and compared with the existing, with the building, the fabric and urban space, measuring the consistency and history, in its formal, typological-construction and technical contents, with specific details dedicated to safety in a seismic environment.
History, intended as knowledge and experience of the build and the urban space, recorded in the shapes and architecture of the city, places, and landscapes, is the cultural sublayer of the design proposal, and suggests the possible strategies: re-use, requalification and consolidation, completion or new insertion or preparation.
In the general layout and its articulations, MSc Program supplies advanced training in the field of architectural design, in coherence with the requisites demanded by European directives (85/384/EEC).
A Bachelor Degree in Architecture and a portfolio are mandatory.
Mission and Goals
The environment we live in nowadays is very complex and the architect is forced to work on the existing heritage paying particular attention to its sustainability and considering the environment together with the built heritage as a resource to protect. The new MSc program "Architectural Design and History" is offering a study plan based on this very attitude. Its mission is to train students to be cultured architects, well-aware of the historic and artistic context in which they work as well as of the other cultural fields. New designs shall be included in and compared to the already existing ones. The respect of the built heritage is the starting point for the new design to become a reutilization project, a requalification project, sometimes even completion and new integration.
- Architectural Design Studio, History and Architectural Heritage, Mechanics and Design of Structures, Architectural Design in Historical Context Studio, Sustainability and the Built Environment.
- Planning in Historical Context Studio, History of Contemporary Architecture, Heritage Management, Final Workshop focused on "Ancient and New".
Master of Science graduates - designers recognized by the European Union - have many different career opportunities: as freelance architects or in association with professional studios, they may work at new solutions in the field of architecture, a professional field which is undergoing many transformations; the wide set of jobs at a private and public level in institutions, companies, service and design companies, offers to the graduates the possibility to work in different positions with different expertise even at a high level of responsibility.
The application for a Laurea Magistrale Program (equivalent to an MSc degree) requires only a few steps. You can apply for two Master of Science programs at the same time (1st and 2nd choice); if you are admitted to both of them you will be asked to accept the study program you prefer. Applicants of Architecture and Design will have their second choice evaluated only if not admitted to their first choice. Therefore, please select your program of preference as your first choice.
In order to start the evaluation process, you must upload all the documents required and make sure that your original academic transcripts are received by the International Admission Office within the deadline. Incomplete applications (i.e. missing/not valid documents, no matter if online/sent by post) will be automatically rejected. The International Admissions Office will consider your application only if your transcripts are received by the deadline and if your online application is complete.
Please note that Politecnico di Milano does not require any application fee neither to our Laurea Magistrale programs nor to any kind of scholarship. All applications’ procedures have no fees. Only once you are admitted, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable "Administrative Fee" of about 200.00 €, a mandatory regional and administrative tax which you have to pay in advance to confirm your admittance (scholarship recipients included). It will be deducted from the 2nd installment of your tuition fees.
It is very important that each applicant personally accesses the Online Service with her/his student identification number (person code) and password to check the status of his/her application and the communications sent by the International Admissions Office.
Moreover, admitted students must personally contact the Italian Diplomatic Representative to provide them with the necessary documents and information. Not doing so could cause the rejection of your Visa.
Once admitted, in order to confirm your acceptance, you will be asked to pay an administrative fee of 172,20 €, either by credit card or by bank transfer. The administrative fee will be deducted from the second installment and will not be refunded in case of withdrawal.
Tuition fees for each academic year are divided into two installments. The first installment must be paid upon enrolment, the second within the deadlines. The due amount must be entirely paid and cannot be divided in further installments.
Tuition Fees for EEA Students
- Tuition fees for EEA students range from about 895,20 € to 3898,20 € for a year.
- The first installment corresponds to 895,20€.
- The second installment is variable. It is calculated on the basis of family income: students will be placed in different income brackets according to the I.S.E.E. declaration.
- The second installment is also based on the number of credits (C.F.U./ECTS) included in the Study plan.
- Students admitted on the 1st semester usually have a standard yearly study plan between 46 and 73 C.F.U., which corresponds to 100% of the tuition fees due.
- Students admitted on the 2nd semester usually have a standard yearly study plan of about 30 C.F.U., which corresponds to 50% of the tuition due.
Tuition Fees For Non-EEA Students
- Tuition fees for Non-EEA students correspond automatically to the full contribution of 3898,20€.
- The first installment corresponds to 895,20€.
- The second installment corresponds to 3003€. The sum may be adjusted according to the number of credits (C.F.U./ECTS) included in the Study plan.
- Students admitted on the 1st semester usually have a standard yearly study plan between 46 and 74 C.F.U., which corresponds to 100% of the tuition fees due (3003 €).
- Students admitted on the 2nd semester usually have a standard yearly study plan of about 30 to 32 C.F.U., which corresponds to 50% of the tuition due (1501,50 €).
English (the program is taught in English even though one of the elective subjects will be offered in Italian).
Program taught in: