The Master of Science in Applied Economics (MScAEcon) is a one-year full-time programme that equips students with economics knowledge to analyze the changing world economy.
The programme integrates economic theory with applied economic analysis and will enable students to understand the economy of China and the world. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the flexibility of choosing electives for pursuing a career in applied economics or future research-oriented studies. Graduates will be equipped with analytical skills and techniques for analyzing business and real-world problems from the economic perspective. Our graduates are trained to be competent economic analysts in business corporations, public organizations and financial institutions. Outstanding students are offered scholarships and merit-based awards.
One of the elective courses of our programme, “Business Economics Field Study”, aims at providing student overseas exposure to understand and an opportunity to examine the economic and business environment outside Hong Kong. The site visit at the chosen location(s) lasts up to 3 weeks. During the field trip, students would participate in company visits, seminars and workshops, and talks by professionals. After the field trip, students work as a group in performing economic analyses based on the overseas exposure provided.
Our programme also provides students with local experience through firm visits, guest lectures by business professional and government officials enhancing our students’ understanding of the operation of the corporation in relation to knowledge learned. In past years, we have arranged firm visits to Cathay Pacific, DHL, Hong Kong Trade Development Council, BCT Financial Limited and Modern Terminals as well as invited professionals from Bank of China (HK), Nomura International, the Government of HKSAR and Royal Bank of Canada to give a lecture to our students.
Why MSCAEcon at HKBU?
- A balanced training in advanced economic knowledge and applied economics analyses
- An understanding of the Chinese economy from a global perspective
- Application of analytical techniques on real-world business and policy issues
Catering Needs of Students with Different Pursuits
- Separate study paths are available for students to choose between professional career development and academic pursuit
- Professional Career Development: Competent economic and business analysts in banking, financial institutions, and other commercial sectors, as well as public institutions
- Academic Pursuit: Further study at a Ph.D. level in economics and other fields
Diversified Learning Environment
- Cohort mix of international, Hong Kong local and Mainland students
- Opportunity for firm visits
- Attending talks/lectures provided by business professionals and government officials
- An option of overseas field study as one of the elective courses
- International Postgraduate Scholarship for international students (full tuition fee waiver and living allowance)
- Entrance Scholarships up to full tuition fee waiver for all applicants
- Merit-based Awards upon graduation
- 5 required and 5 elective courses
- 2 regular semesters with one intensive summer term
- Students will acquire advanced knowledge for analyzing economic issues.
- Students will be able to analyze the economic behavior of various agents and institutions in the economy.
- Students will be able to apply theories to analyze real-world problems.
- Students will be able to apply economic theories and empirical methods in applied economic research.
- A good Bachelor degree from a recognized university, or equivalent. Although a bachelor degree in economics or related areas is not a pre-requisite for admission, the applicant is expected to possess the knowledge of microeconomics and macroeconomics, with some training in mathematics (especially in calculus and linear algebra) and statistics.
- Proof of English proficiency is required for applicants whose first degree were obtained from non-English-medium institutions. This can be fulfilled by obtaining a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 79, or a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS; OR other equivalent qualifications.
Program taught in: