Gain the scientific skills and business knowledge needed to convert discoveries into inventions and commercial products.
- Year of entry: 2020
- Duration: 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
- Mode of study: Full-time, Part-time
- Entry requirements: 2:1 (or international equivalent) in a relevant science subject
- IELTS: 6.5 (no less than 6.0 in any element)
- UK/EU fees: £9,945
- International fees: £25,695
- Start date: September 2020
- Course location: Jubilee Campus, Sutton Bonington Campus
- School/Department: Biosciences
Run in partnership with the University's Business School, you will learn how to translate ideas and concepts into a business plan. Apply this knowledge in start-up technologies or innovative processes within biotechnology industries.
- Acquire a combination of essential research and business skills in finance, marketing and management which will equip you for career opportunities in the global biotechnology market
- Benefit from visits to institutes and biotechnology companies to gain insights on the latest technologies and research
- Apply your skills through a three-month industry placement research or management project with a biopharmaceutical or biotechnological company
What you will study
You will gain the knowledge and skills required to manage innovation in the industry, incorporating business and finance planning, idea generation, project management, and problem-solving techniques.
Developing your understanding further across industrial and biomedical settings including drug delivery covering:
- Biomolecular structure, properties and function
- The application of enzyme, carbohydrate and antibody biotechnology
You will conduct an individual project either on-campus or as part of an industrial placement. You will design the study; gain familiarity with previously published literature, together with the methods and techniques, ethical issues and safety procedures relevant to the topic. This will involve data collection and quantitative analysis in preparation for the final report and poster presentation.
- This course is run by the School of Biosciences, in conjunction with the University’s Business School
- The School of Biosciences is ranked the number 1 research environment in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework 2014; 97% of our work was judged to be of international quality
- The Business School is one of the UK’s leading centres for management education and is globally ranked among the world’s top business schools for the quality of its teaching and research on sustainability and social responsibility
This programme requires 180 credits.
The full-time one-year course consists of two semesters of taught modules (120 credits), followed by a research project (60 credits) of three months on a full-time basis during the summer period.
Part-time students should be prepared to undertake their research project in the summer of the second year, working on a full-time basis.
- Industrial and Biomedical Macromolecules
- Physical Chemistry for Applied Biopharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Entrepreneurial Creativity
- Launching New Ventures
- Postgraduate Research Project
- Antibody Biotechnology
- Polysaccharide and Drug Delivery Biotechnology
- Leading Entrepreneurial Growth
- Structural Biology
- Genetic Analysis and Bioinformatics
The above is a sample of the typical modules that we offer but is not intended to be construed and/or relied upon as a definitive list of the modules that will be available in any given year. This course page may be updated over the duration of the course, as modules may change due to developments in the curriculum or in the research interests of staff.
Teaching methods and assessment
This course is offered full-time and part-time. You will attend a selection of lecture-based modules and demonstrator-assisted learning in laboratory sessions.
There is a significant proportion of independent learning and small group study. You will be guided through the process of identifying a research project to suit your career aspirations.
Assessment is by a combination of unseen written examinations, coursework and verbal presentations.
Careers and professional development
There are significant opportunities within the global biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and healthcare market for scientists qualified in both research and business skills.
Average starting salary and career progression
100% of postgraduates in the School of Biosciences secured work or further study within six months of graduation. £28,000 was the average starting salary, with the highest being £65,000.*
* Known destinations of full-time home postgraduates who were available for employment, 2016/17. Salaries are calculated based on the median of those in full-time paid employment within the UK.
Careers support and advice
We offer individual careers support for all postgraduate students whatever your course, mode of study or future career plans.
You can access our Careers and Employability Service during your studies and after you graduate. Expert staff will help you research career options and job vacancies, build your CV or résumé, develop your interview skills and meet employers.
More than 1,500 employers advertise graduate jobs and internships through our online vacancy service. We host regular careers fairs, including specialist fairs for different sectors.
Fees and funding
Government loans for masters courses
Masters student loans of up to £10,906 are available for taught and research masters courses. Applicants must ordinarily live in the UK or EU.
International and EU students
Masters scholarships are available for international and EU students from a wide variety of countries and areas of study. You must already have an offer to study at Nottingham to apply. Please note closing dates to ensure you apply for your course with enough time.
This online prospectus has been drafted in advance of the academic year to which it applies. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content) are likely to occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for the course where there has been an interval between you reading this website and applying.
About the School
The Faculty of Science undertakes world-class research spanning wide-ranging topics including quantum physics, plant genomics, human imaging, sustainable chemistry, neuroscience, mathematical modellin ... Read More