A unique course created to meet a demand clearly stated by employers for graduates skilled and qualified in airport business development, planning, design, operations and environmental management. Study at the only UK university campus with a fully operational airport.
Who is it for?
Cranfield University is the only university in the world to run an English language master's course in airport planning and management. Achieving this highly relevant and globally respected degree will enable you to stand out in a competitive employment market.
Cranfield's Centre for Air Transport Management combines a wealth of practical expertise with extensive research, consultancy and teaching experience in one centre of excellence. We have been providing postgraduate education for almost sixty years. You can be sure that your qualification will be valued and respected by employers throughout the world.
Why this course?
In addition to management, communication, teamwork and research skills, you will attain the following learning outcomes from this course:
- A systematic understanding of relevant international and national regulations and the ability to explain their effects on airport business, planning, design, operations and safety management decisions
- A critical awareness of the key issues that affect users of airport facilities (e.g. airlines and retailers) and the ability to explain the impact of their commercial pressures, strategic decisions and priorities on airport business, planning, design, operations and safety management decisions
- How to identify, analyse and design solutions in order to address a given research problem within the context of airport planning and management, having regard to regulatory constraints and commercial and environmental imperatives
- Undertake and successfully complete a substantial programme of independent research, applying robust methods of data collection and analysis, and communicating the findings coherently.
Cranfield University is very well located for visiting students from all over the world and offers a range of library and support facilities to support your studies. This MSc programme benefits from students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds which significantly enhances the learning experience for both staff and students.
Nine compulsory taught modules, a group project and an individual research project.
All the modules in the following list need to be taken as part of this course
- Introduction to the Air Transport Industry
- Regulatory Policy and Air Law
- Research Methods
- Air Transport Market Analysis and Forecasting
- Airport Strategic Planning
- Airport Environmental Planning
- Airport Operations
- Airport Design
- Airport Finance and Business Management
A first or upper second class UK honours degree with at least a 2.1. (or non-UK equivalent) in any discipline. A recognised professional qualification plus a number of years’ relevant working experience may be accepted as an equivalent.
Applicants who do not fulfil the standard entry requirements can apply for the Pre-Masters programme, successful completion of which will qualify them for entry to this course for the second year of study.
Working in an airport environment offers varied and exciting career possibilities. Graduates should be able to pursue a career working for an airport authority in business development, operations, design and planning or with one of the many planning and management consultancies that advise airports across the world.
Our passion for the areas of expertise we operate in and our hands-on relationship with industry are unparalleled. This is recognised globally by potential employers and we have a proven record of graduate employment across airports, consultancies and associated industries.
Previous graduates have secured employment with a range of companies including:
- Jacobs Consultancy
- Mott MacDonald
- Korean Airports Corporation
- Malaysian Airports
- Aviation Economics
- Heathrow Airport.