Specialization: Plant biotechnology
The rapid development of biological sciences and the wide use of complex technologies in the plant industry necessitate the education of specialists who are able to transform the achievements of the basic sciences into practically useful technologies and products in everyday agricultural and horticultural practice. They will contribute to the effort to provide the required amount of quality food for the world’s growing population using environmentally friendly technologies. In addition, MSc graduates in Agricultural Biotechnology will have the know-how development of new plant products, such as e.g. functional foods, pharmacologically active substances and new industrial raw materials for the market.
Agricultural biotechnologists are prepared for this role by being given a well-founded knowledge of natural sciences as well as of agricultural technologies, and by being taught laboratory skills. The MSc course is full-time and lasts for 4 semesters. During the first two semesters students acquire theoretical knowledge of basic sciences (organic chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, plant physiology and microbiology) and of molecular biology. In addition they get a thorough training in basic laboratory techniques. In the last two semesters the emphasis is laid on the preparation of a thesis, i.e. on individual scientific work. This is accompanied by introducing the students to the latest developments in specialized fields of plant biotechnology.
MSc graduates will be able to work in agricultural research, in agricultural administrative or executive positions, or as specialists in a variety of agricultural production technologies, such as e.g. quality control, the seed industry, development and controlling of micropropagation and GMO technologies, protection of cultivars, diagnostic methods or environmental safety.
- Education is running as full time course.
The Agricultural Biotechnologist are able to
- apply modern biotechnological processes, genetic engineering, and accomplish development engineering tasks
- carry out biotechnological research, deepen their knowledge and apply the newest methods in plant cultivation, horticulture and animal husbandry
- fill expert and counselling positions in state administration, at different international organisations, in the Chamber of Agriculture, and cooperatives
- identify professional problems and provide solutions and carry out planning, development and research tasks comply and accomplish research and development programmes, projects and tenders requiring engineering expertise.
Requirements for entering the program
For foreign citizens:
- academic BSc/MSc or equivalent degree in agricultural/life or related sciences;
- English language (reading, writing, speaking, listening) knowledge.
Canditates are expected to have basic science knowledge (demonstrated in the transcript) in life sciences, natural resources, agriculture, economics. Based on the credits of the applicants obtained in former graduation, additional maximum 24 credits from missing disciplines may be required during the study.
Also eligible are applicants who will have completed a suitable degree by 31 July 2013, so that by the time of their enrollment they can present their diploma.
Candidates from countries where English is not the language of instruction need to have an internationally accepted English exam: TOEFL iBT min. 65, PBT 500, CBT 200 or IELTS at least a score of 5,5 or Cambridge CAE Certificate). These can be replaced by documentation of at least 2 years closed higher education study in an English program.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017