This is a generalist MSc and will be relevant to those who wish to pursue a career in accounting and those who require a thorough knowledge of accounting as budget holders. We seek students from different areas of business/management, accounting and finance, or those with a quantitative background.
We take a genuinely interdisciplinary approach to the subject, which offers you an innovative way of learning about topics that cannot be pigeonholed into one particular area. Because our students come from such a variety of backgrounds and range in age and experience, you will find our class discussions a stimulating arena in which to explore new ideas and topics.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sports management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Provides a thorough understanding of the key areas of accounting and financial management for non-accounting graduates.
- On completion, you will be able to understand, apply and critically assess a wide range of accounting and financial theories.
- You will learn and apply the relevant techniques in each subject area.
- Strong emphasis is placed on analysis and interpretation using case study and live company analysis.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
- We offer a range of student support and study facilities.
Further study opportunities
If you are interested in further research, we offer an MPhil/PhD in Management and MPhil/PhD in Economics.
Progress to a PhD will normally be dependent on gaining at least a merit grade in the Master's programme. It will also be dependent on a member of the teaching staff agreeing to act as principal supervisor for your PhD research.
Careers and employability
Graduates can pursue a career in accounting, as financial or management accountants. Alternatively, graduates go on to work within the accounting or finance function in a corporation, or to pursue a general managerial career.
Professional bodies that recognise this course
This programme is part of the CFA university recognition programme and has a limited number of CFA scholarships available.
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 1, 2018