MSc Accounting and Finance
This programme is designed for students wanting to extend their expertise in the fields of accounting and finance. The programme involves an intensive study of the core disciplines of accounting and finance. There are many different career opportunities for accounting and finance specialists.
Industry experts provide guest lectures, career development advice, off-site visits, and curriculum input. Practitioners are involved in developing content and teaching on various courses including 'Project Finance'. As part of our continuing guest lecture series, senior executives from Northern Trust and Barclays have presented to a broad audience of undergraduate, postgraduate and research students as well as academics.
The MSc Finance suite of programmes has a typical intake of over 100 students. It is common to find a minimum of 30 nationalities represented.
The aims of the programme are:
- To enable you to become competent and thoughtful practitioners, in this case, in the wider field of finance and accounting
- To develop your reflective, critical and evaluative thinking and judgement and to expose you to contemporary issues in the field, through teaching which is strongly supported by research and professional practice
- To provide a flexible programme which delivers a strong theoretical underpinning in accounting and finance through compulsory courses and which enables you to pursue coherently related areas of specialism through chosen areas of academic study, option choices and a dissertation title.
Accounting and Finance
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
Students are required to study the following compulsory courses
Business English for Academic Purposes - Level 4 Students are required to choose 60 credits from this list of options. Financial Analysis and Valuation (15 credits) Accounting for Performance and Control (30 credits) International Financial Accounting and Reporting (30 credits) Corporate Governance, Assurance and Audit (15 credits) Research Methods (15 credits) Foundations of Scholarship (Dept ACC) (15 credits) Project Finance (15 credits) Principles of Finance (30 credits)
- Year 2
- Students are required to study the following compulsory courses.
- Dissertation (Postgraduate Accounting and Finance Suite) (45 credits.
- Students are required to choose 75 credits from this list of options.
- Financial Analysis and Valuation (15 credits)
- Accounting for Performance and Control (30 credits)
- International Financial Accounting and Reporting (30 credits)
- Corporate Governance, Assurance and Audit (15 credits)
- Research Methods (15 credits)
- Foundations of Scholarship (Dept ACC) (15 credits)
- Project Finance (15 credits)
- Principles of Finance (30 credits)
Entry requirementsApplicants should have a good relevant first degree from a recognised university or higher education institute. Students who were educated in a language other than English should demonstrate an IELTS score of 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent in a secure English language test. Alternatively, students with an overall IELTS of 5 or 5.5 can study our pre-sessional English language programme prior to degree studies.
AssessmentStudents will be assessed through examinations, coursework and a dissertation.
Career optionsThe degree provides a good stepping stone to a career in accountancy, especially as accountants in commerce and industry, and also provides students who are seeking positions in the finance industry with both specialist finance knowledge and the necessary level of understanding of accounting. In recent years, employers of our graduates have included First City Merchant Bank and JPMorgan. < Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 27, 2018