Do you have a head for figures and your heart set on a career in accounting? It’s a sought-after profession, with high job security, good rates of pay and lots of interesting roles to choose from within a variety of sectors.
The MSc Accounting and Finance course at Swansea University will help you develop an advanced and in-depth understanding of key accounting and finance topics that will fast-track your future career prospects.
You don’t need a background in accounting or finance to study this one-year conversion course. It’s designed to enhance your undergraduate study and accelerate you into your chosen profession anywhere in the world.
The programme is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and includes exemption from up to seven ACCA Fundamental exams. This is based on your prior learning and prevents you from having to study the same topics you’ve already been taught.
The School of Management also has strong links with the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute, the Chartered Banker Institute, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). This close affiliation with professional bodies will enhance your career prospects and give you the edge to thrive in today’s competitive world.
Why Accounting and Finance at Swansea?
- A full conversion course that may be completed in a single year.
- Open to applicants with no existing experience in accounting, finance or business.
- All modules are taught by our world-class faculty who have industrial and academic knowledge.
- Professional body accreditation, which can help to accelerate your career.
- Swansea University was voted Second in WhatUni? Student Choice Award 2019 - Postgraduate study.
- Swansea is joint 1st in Wales for international ranked research (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- Swansea is 1st in Wales for world-leading impact - 60% at 4-star level (REF 2014).
- Based in the £22 million School of Management building on the new Bay campus.
Your Accounting and Finance Experience
From the moment you arrive at the School of Management, we will work with you to help build your skills and experience to enhance your career prospects.
You will have unlimited one to one bespoke careers advice from our dedicated careers team. You can go on a work placement or internship through the Swansea Paid Internship Network (SPIN) or the Week of Work initiative.
We have strong links with a range of high-profile organisations, including Dell and Ernst and Young.
All our students benefit from co-location with the industry at the innovative Bay Campus, working alongside companies such as Fujitsu, in facilities that boast dedicated teaching space and study areas, and extensive IT facilities equipped with the latest hardware and specialist software.
Accounting and Finance Employment Opportunities
We have an excellent track record of placing our graduates with major multinational companies.
Your MSc Accounting and Finance programme, with its ACCA accreditation, will prove to employers you have the ability in all aspects of business and that you are a strategic thinker with strong financial know-how and the right business acumen.
Your next step could be in any of these roles:
- Commercial Finance Analyst
- Finance Team Leader
- Audit Associate
- Junior Financial Analyst
- Finance Supervisor
- Credit Controller
- Project System Accountant
Careers and Employability
Swansea Employability Academy (SEA) will support you at each stage of your career journey helping you build a bright future.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs.
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers.
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities.
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics.
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
The School of Management also has a dedicated in-house Employability team offering additional support.
During your time with us, you’ll have the chance to:
- Join our Employability Mentoring scheme and get mentored by an employer who can help you with the transition from student to working professional.
- Get the opportunity to speak to our growing Alumni Community.
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our seminars and events.
- Boost your skills and meet employers during our Employability Module, which is run twice a year.
- Participate in our Business in the Bay competition and compete against other university students.
- Complete the Swansea Employability Award.
Swansea University was named University of the Year in the 2019 Whatuni Student Choice Awards for the second time in five years. As well as being crowned University of the Year, Swansea University took the top spot in the International category and placed top three in the Postgraduate, and Course and Lecturers categories. The Whatuni Student Choice Awards are voted for entirely by students, with more than 41,000 reviews and comments submitted from more than 160 UK institutions.
In the prestigious Guardian University Guide 2021, we are placed 24th in the UK and have won the Welsh University of the Year title for the second time in three years, cementing our position as Wales’ leading higher education institution.
We place our students at the heart of everything. As a result, we achieved a gold rating, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) and are ranked 6th in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey for 2020.
Our stunning waterfront campuses make us a desirable location for students and staff from around the world, and our multicultural community provides a global perspective, enabling those who join us to develop skills and knowledge that set them on successful and enriching careers.
About the School
Swansea University is a research-led university that has been making a difference since 1920. The University community thrives on exploration and discovery, and offers the right balance of excellent t ... Read More