Khalifa University of Science and Technology offers Graduate Research / Teaching Assistant (GRTA) scholarships to support qualified international students enrolled in graduate programs.
The scholarship provides generous remuneration and benefits that include:
- Full coverage of tuition fees.
- Medical insurance coverage for students under the Khalifa University visa.
- Support to attend international research conferences.
- The indicative monthly stipend for GRTA Scholarship is as follows (subject to change).
We will start taking applications starting November 1st, 2018 for the next intake in September 1st, 2019.
The degree of Master of Science by Research in Engineering (M.Sc. by ResEng) is awarded for successfully completing the requirements of a program of study, which includes a limited set of taught courses as well as a significantly written thesis. The thesis is an independent investigation of specialized areas within a particular engineering discipline.
The M.Sc. by ResEng gives candidates the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in the particular engineering field of interest and contribute to the process of discovery and knowledge creation through the conduct of original research. Candidates for this degree are taught and supervised by experienced faculty and are expected to demonstrate initiative in their approach and innovation in their work. In addition to successfully completing the taught course component of the program, candidates prepare and present a thesis on their chosen area. Research may be undertaken in several topics corresponding to the areas of focus identified by the University.
The educational objectives of the M.Sc. by Research in Engineering program are:
- To provide graduates with specialization in their field of study.
- To equip graduates with research skills and techniques.
- To equip graduates with research communication skills.
- To equip graduates with personal effectiveness skills.
- To produce graduates who will make substantial contributions to academia, industry, business, and the community.
- To undertake and publish research that is relevant to industry and business, and is highly regarded by the international community.
A student graduating with an M.Sc. by Research in Engineering degree will be able to:
- Demonstrate a good level of understanding and specialization in his/her field of study.
- Conduct an independent investigation with rigor and discrimination.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the relationship of the area of his/her research to a wider field of knowledge.
- Demonstrate a critical appreciation of the literature in his/her area of research.
- Make a contribution to the body of knowledge in his/her field of study.
- Demonstrate an ability to appraise critically his/her contribution in the context of his/her overall investigation.
- Constructively defend his/her research outcomes.
- Write clearly, accurately, cogently, and in a style appropriate to the purpose.
- Construct coherent arguments and articulate ideas clearly to a range of audiences.
- Demonstrate personal effectiveness and the capacity to work independently.
Overall Structure and Requirements
The M.Sc. by Research in Engineering (ResEng) program consists of a minimum of 36 credit hours. The required program credits are distributed as follows: 3 credits of Program Core courses, zero credit seminar in research methods course, 9 credits of Program Elective courses, and 24 credits of Engineering Master’s Thesis work. The table below presents a summary of the M.Sc. by ResEng degree program structure and requirements. All the M.Sc. by ResEng program courses, with the exception of the Research Seminar and the Master’s Thesis, have a credit rating of three credits each. The academic advisor and the Program Chair provide advice to the student about the courses to enroll in to meet the taught course requirement of the program.
Summary of M.Sc. by Research Engineering Degree Program Structure and Requirements
Seminar in Research Methods
Students seeking the degree of M.Sc. by Research in Engineering must successfully complete a minimum of 36 credited hours as specified in the categories detailed in this section, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0.