The MSc Sustainable Construction programme gives you technologically advanced knowledge, problem-solving skills and a comprehensive understanding of the key aspects of sustainability in civil engineering construction.
During your studies, you will gain a critical awareness of current and future challenges associated with the intervention of sustainability strategies and their integration in the civil engineering sector, as well as prospective solutions from existing and emerging scientific technologies.
The programme comprises two semesters of taught modules, assessed by coursework and examination, followed by a research dissertation during your third semester.
The programme is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng), for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited undergraduate first degree.
Why Should I Study Sustainable Construction at XJLTU?
- Learn in an innovative and multicultural environment, which integrates professionally accredited education with modern training practices, delivered in state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and educational platforms;
- Gain a multidisciplinary perspective, with modules delivered by the departments of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning and Electrical and Electronic Engineering;
- Graduate with a programme focussed on the growth industry of sustainable design and development in the civil engineering sector;
- Study an advanced-level curriculum enhanced by practical applications, specialised research seminars and industrial training;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and Skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Sustainable Construction, you will have:
- independent critical thinking skills, which are key to the development of professional engineering insight;
- a solid understanding of the theoretical aspects of the recent advances in engineering, construction and sustainability fields;
- knowledge of the latest sustainability technology and strategies and how to apply them in building design;
- the ability to work in complex professional environments and find innovative solutions for technical problems.
"I like the teaching style here. You can discuss things openly with professors."
Alumna, MSc Sustainable Construction, China
- Sustainable Technology and Building Materials
- Sustainable Drainage Systems
- Sustainable Energy and Environment
- Integration of Energy Strategies in the Design of Buildings
- Sustainable Engineering with Timber
- Advanced Simulation of Sustainable Structural Systems
- Environmental Engineering and Management Practice
- Sustainable Urban Planning Strategies
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for careers in the environmental construction and management sectors, governmental regulatory agencies and environmental consultancies. Graduates go on to find employment in positions such as green infrastructure engineer, water resources engineer, construction site engineer, environmental consultant engineer and sustainable technology developer.
The MSc Sustainable Construction programme can be used as Further Learning, the final element of the educational base for being a chartered engineer (CEng).
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Full scholarship opportunity for international students
XJTLU has 9 scholarships from the government Talent Selection Programme for students studying the Masters in Sustainable Construction.
This generous scholarship will waive the full tuition fee and provide a basic living allowance to support international students during the full-time 18-month programme.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field such as civil engineering or a related programme.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"Society needs a transformation to fulfil sustainable development, and the design of sustainable infrastructure is needed to achieve this change. Our programme aims to provide students with the advanced knowledge required to lead a sustainable revolution in the construction industry."
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More