The results of unsustainable human development in the 21st century are evident as climate change, species extinction, pollution, poverty and inequality become inescapable global realities. The next big challenge for society is to transform our economy to incorporate the principles of sustainability. This presents an exciting opportunity to rethink, redesign and rebuild a positive future for business practice.
The MSc in Sustainability, Entrepreneurship and Design (with Professional Development) is an 18-month programme – 12 months for the study at Brunel followed by a six-month professional development phase. There is an option to complete the MSc in Sustainability, Entrepreneurship and Design in 12 months (without the professional development phase) but students will be encouraged to engage with the professional development phase to achieve the maximum from the programme.
Brunel University also offers the Graduate Entrepreneur post-study visa, which represents a perfect opportunity for our international graduates to apply their new skills in the UK following graduation.
The course is jointly run between the Institute of Environment, Health and Societies, the School of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences, and Brunel Business School.
This programme will equip entrepreneurial minded graduates with two essential ingredients:
- firstly, the mindset and ability to play a key role in building a sustainable world – one that is not only prosperous, but also environmentally stable and socially inclusive
- secondly, hands-on experience, such that they can become entrepreneurs, business leaders, change-makers and innovators.
Upon graduating, students will be able to become key figures in local, regional, national or global businesses; holistic thinkers and visionary leaders in their communities, corporations, businesses, non-profit organizations and government agencies.
They will be encouraged to infuse environmental awareness into societies and make tangible contributions to the theory and practice of environmental protection, sustainable business and a circular (green) economy.
- Introduction to Strategic Sustainable Development
- Business Planning
- International Business Ethics, Sustainability and Corporate Governance
- Sustainable Design
- Professional Design Studio
- Intergrated Assessment - Sustainability and Entreprenuership
- Intergrated Assessment- Sustainability and Design
- Sustainable Development in Practice (Compulsory for the MSc with professional development).
The programme will gain employers recognition, because graduates will obtain qualifications and skills enabling them to deal with sustainability and environmental management issues which are now becoming important factors for all various types of businesses.
The move to a sustainable society is likely to see a transformation similar to that of digital economy with all sectors of the economy and industry responding to sustainable development and low carbon imperatives and targets, demanding both industry and public informed strategy and leadership.
Students who undertake the 6-month Professional Development will be given the opportunity to undertake a Professional Development Programme. This will include mentorship from leading entrepreneurs, business leaders, inventors and academics, intensive corporate exposure, and business start-up opportunities.
Graduates from the MSc course will expect to:
- Start their own green businesses as entrepreneurs and/or designer/innovators.
- Become change-makers and leaders in existing businesses moving towards sustainability.
- Join corporate institutions and public bodies (eg local and regional government, NGOs) as senior sustainability and environmental coordinators/managers.
- Become advisers on sustainable business and policy, sustainable new product development and investment/funding within existing companies, or as consultants in new business ventures. The latter will include new 'green' product and service enterprises and sustainability service providers.
A UK first or second class Honours degree or equivalent internationally recognised qualification in design, science and engineering, management, business studies or a cognate discipline.
Applicants with a third class honours degree or other qualifications will be considered if supported by science A-level (or equivalent) and relevant work experience.
All applicants shortlisted are required to attend an interview.
This school offers programs in:
1-year full-time; 18-months with work-placement
Cost & Fees
UK/EU students: £7,300 full-time and £2,000 placement fee
International students: £15,400 full-time and £2,000 placement fee
Scholarship scheme is available for this MSc course
- The Queen’s Anniversary Prize Scholarships (6 x £3,000 fee waivers)
UK/EU students can opt to pay in six equal monthly instalments: the first instalment is payable on enrolment and the remaining five by Direct Debit or credit/debit card.
Overseas students can opt to pay in two instalments: 60% on enrolment, and 40% in January for students who commence their course in September (or the remaining 40% in March for selected courses that start in January).
Last updated October 17, 2017