MSc Strategy and International Business
With the increasing globalisation of business and the revolution in information and communications technologies, no company can afford to ignore the international dimension of strategy. Most, if not all, companies require internationalisation strategies, be they simple export or franchising arrangements, or complex and risky international joint ventures and/or foreign direct investment. These activities require knowledge and skills in understanding the international business environment. The MSc Strategy and International Business provides a rigorous and comprehensive coverage of strategy and international business issues in both developed and developing countries..
Outline of programme
The strategy component of the degree aims to give students the knowledge and skills required to analyse companies’ strategic situations and to solve complex strategic problems. The international business component of the degree aims to develop the knowledge and skills required for assessing and developing internationalisation strategies and operations, as well as skills entailed in international and cross-cultural management. Complete outlines for all modules are available online.
- International Business
- International Business Strategy
- Strategic Management
- Advanced Topics in Strategy
- Business Research Methods
- Business Finance
- Marketing Management
- International Finance
- Strategy, Change and Leadership
- Strategy, Change and Leadership
- Strategic Global Outsourcing and Offshoring
- Management Consultancy as Practise.
The taught modules are assessed through a mixture of examinations and coursework. All students must complete a year-long dissertation project. The topic of the dissertation is developed in collaboration with their selected supervisor, an expert in the chosen field. There are two types of dissertation: 1) specialist topics and 2) consultancy-based projects. Both types of project could be based either in qualitative or quantitative data and primary or secondary (desk based) data.
The unique combination of strategy and international business in this programme provides a solid foundation for a career in a managerial position, either the private or public sector, as a consultant. It also provides an excellent foundation for a doctoral degree in either strategy or international business. Recent graduate positions include employment at Cap Gemini, Airbus, Network Rail, Roland Berger, Citibank and Jaguar Land Rover.
One of the following:
- A good UK honours degree (minimum lower second class)
- Equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University.
As well as:
- Two professional references – at least one must be from an academic referee
- An official academic transcript of your university grades to date
- A completed application form.
For International Students:
- An official academic transcript, with an official English translation, of your university grades to date
- International students whose native language is not English will also need to satisfy our English language requirements with one of the following:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of 93 overall, with a minimum score of 22 in speaking, 19 in listening, 26 in writing and 18 in reading. Please note that TOEFL scores are subject to terms and conditions.
- IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.5 in writing and speaking and 6 in listening and reading).
Pre-sessional English language programmes are available for good applicants whose English qualification falls just short of these requirements.
This school offers programs in: