This program is available for 2021
In our course, you’ll explore strategic sustainable management and its environmental, social and economic dimensions. Learning from real-life situations and inspirational practitioners, your studies will focus on three key areas:
- Sustainable business
- Strategic management
- Entrepreneurship to lead sustainable change
Unique, practical learning
We focus on the challenges and opportunities of transformative and practical management for sustainability. There’s a balance of theory and practice to help you to prepare for jobs in sustainable management and corporate social responsibility. Our partnerships with sustainably managed organisations provide you with the chance to see how these practices work in the real world.
You’ll be immersed in the practical aspects of sustainable business, acquiring skills, knowledge and expertise on sustainability management by working with real-world organisations. These include large companies, small and medium enterprises, the public sector and NGOs. You’ll learn from experienced sustainable managers, innovators, entrepreneurs and policymakers during the teaching modules.
By the end of the course, you’ll have an in-depth understanding of sustainable management and its opportunities and challenges.
Learn from the experts
Throughout the course, you'll engage with academics who have conducted outstanding research in the field of sustainable management. This research has been published in first-tier journals, such as:
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy
- Business and Society
- Technological Forecasting and Social Change.
We emphasise building your practical experience, with consultancy-style projects for external clients and engagement with Environment influential networks. These networks include the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA), Scotland 2020 and 2050 Climate Groups, along with firms that have won the VIBES Award – Vision in Business for the Environment of Scotland.
The University of Stirling Management School
At the University of Stirling Management School, the principle of responsible business, policy and practice is central to everything we do. This vision helps us to equip our students effectively with the skills to act as global citizens, capable of addressing the needs of society.
As a member of the Chartered Association for Business Schools, we have strong links with industry and were recently awarded the Small Business Charter for engagement with the local and regional enterprise.
We’re in an elite group of business schools globally – and one of only 14 in the UK – to hold accreditation from the Association of MBAs (AMBA) for both our MBA and MSc Business and Management (MBM) courses.
Top reasons to study with us
- Enhance your employability by working on real-life consultancy-style projects with external clients.
- Our Master's course is endorsed by leading organisations in sustainability such as the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA).
- The course is run in collaboration with the Centre for Sustainable Practice and Living, combining academic excellence and practical knowledge in supporting leaders and organisations towards a more sustainable society.
Throughout the course you’ll:
- Acquire the latest perspectives, knowledge, skills, best practices and experience for a successful career in a variety of emerging sustainability-related jobs.
- Engage with cutting-edge frameworks, best practices and tools, including the UN framework for sustainability leadership.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of sustainable management and it's opportunities and challenges.
- Enhance your ability to lead sustainable projects and initiatives across different sectors.
- Engage in real-world situations in private organisations, the public sector and NGOs.
- Enhance and develop critical, analytical, interpersonal and other transferable skills for strategic sustainable business.
Developing Business Leaders of the Future
Postgraduate education at the University of Stirling Management School goes beyond textbooks and lecture rooms, we also focus on your personal and professional development.
Our unique Flying Start Leadership programme equips you with the awareness, knowledge and techniques essential for building a successful career. These range from practical skills, like effective public speaking, to developing ways to work under pressure in difficult situations such as conflict management. Find out more about Flying Start.
The full-time MSc Strategic Sustainable Business consists of two 15-week semesters of taught modules and a three-month dissertation period.
Teaching is carried out a series of lectures, tutorials, case studies, role-playing, computer simulations, guest speakers and company projects.
Assessment includes reports, essays, briefings, case analyses, debates, literature reviews, marketing communication plans, poster sessions and presentations. Assessed work is often conducted in groups, which helps to develop your teamwork and communication skills.
Professor George Burt
+44 (0)1786 467356
About the School
At the University of Stirling, being the difference is in our DNA – providing education with a purpose and carrying out research that helps to shape society.