This two-year master’s programme provides you with a thorough introduction to the general philosophy and methodology of statistical modelling, data analysis and data science.
What does this master’s programme entail?
The two-year master's programme in Statistical Science provides you with a thorough introduction to the general philosophy and methodology of statistical modelling and data analysis. The programme consists of a core programme shared by all students, and specialisation specific courses, electives, an internship or research project and master's thesis. You can specialise in either life and behavioural sciences, where the emphasis is on the application in multidisciplinary environments, or in data sciences where you focus more on data mining, pattern recognition and deep learning.
Why study Statistical Sciences for the Life and Behavioural Sciences at Leiden University?
- Each specialisation offers you a unique combination of knowledge and expertise. These allow for a thorough preparation for a career as a data scientist, researcher or statistician anywhere.
- Job perspectives after graduation are great: statisticians and data scientists are highly sought after in various industries.
- The programme is a collaborative effort between various institutes in Leiden, Wageningen UR and VUMC.
Statistical Sciences for the Life and Behavioural Sciences: the right master’s programme for you?
The field of statistics, like other areas of applied mathematics, often attracts students who are interested in the analysis of patterns in data: developing, understanding, abstracting, and packaging analytical methods for general use in other subject areas. Statistics is also, by definition, an information science. Imaginative use of both computing power and new computing environments drives much current research - so an interest in computation and/or computer science can also be a start for a statistician. With the growing importance of data within our society, you will be highly in demand with a degree in Statistical Sciences.
- Statistical Science (specialisation) (MSc)
- Data Science: Statistical Science (specialisation)(MSc)
Admission and application
Do you want to apply for the master’s programme Statistical Science for the Life and Behavioural Sciences at Leiden University? Find out how to apply for your programme by following the step-by-step guide in the application and admission section:
Program taught in: