This programme is designed to give you the skills and expertise you need to compete in the sports industry and related businesses and organisations, by combining specialist teaching about the principles and practice of sports management and economics with general training in management, business organisation, strategy and research methods. It covers several key areas, such as governance and regulatory issues, with emphasis on the wider sports sector.
It will help you to develop a deeper understanding of management, governance and regulatory issues within the business of sport. It is ideally suited to the needs of executives within a variety of sports organisations, such as professional sports clubs, governing bodies, media organisations, members of supporters’ organisations, and local government officials with responsibilities in the leisure field, as well as people with a general interest in the sport and media industries.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sports management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
We also offer an MSc Sports Management and Marketing and, for those individuals with an interest in the business of football, we offer an MSc Sports Management and the Business of Football.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- A comprehensive review of the theory and practice of the business and management of sport.
- Visiting speakers include experts from the legal profession, football clubs and football regulatory authorities.
- Linked to Birkbeck's Sports Business Centre, one of the world's leading centres for sports business and football research, teaching, training, consultancy and policy advice.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
Careers and employability
Graduates have gone on to work in a wide range of sport organisations, such as: AEK Larnarca Football Club, Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), Chelsea Football Club Football in the Community Department, the Football Association (the FA), Leaders in Football, FIFA, Sportfive and the Premier League, primarily as consultants and/or business/administrative managers. Others are working for the media and in the retail sector.
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 28, 2018