Why study Smart Mobility Data Science and Analytics at the EIT Urban Mobility Master School?
Data is central to our future and technological advancement. As we continue to urbanize and gather more data about our mobility patterns and urban systems, the challenge is not simply the amount of data, but how we manage them, critically understand their quality, and utilize findings to address our cities’ most pressing challenges. Today, there is an expanding need to forge a new generation of data scientists, capable of exploring our ever-increasing urban data and extracting meaningful insights. Such work is critical to supporting cities’ strategic decisions and pushing us towards a more sustainable future, centered on efficient resource use, a clean environment, equitable citizen engagement, and a healthy, low-carbon society. The Smart Mobility Data Science and Analytics program is designed in an interdisciplinary fashion and emphasizes new and emerging transportation technologies and services for citizens, goods, and logistics. Furthermore, as an EIT Urban Mobility Master School program, it integrates entrepreneurship & innovation throughout the coursework and was launched to train future elite data scientists in urban mobility and innovation.
Who can apply?
The program welcomes candidates who have a solid foundation in analytical problem solving with an eye to detail, as demonstrated by a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Science, Computer Science, Statistics, or Geoinformation Technology. The Urban Analytics & Smart Mobility program also encourages applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography, Economics, Business Analytics, or other relevant disciplines, provided they have verifiable experience in programming, calculus, linear algebra, and mathematical statistics.
How is the program structured?
All programs at the EIT Urban Mobility Master School follow the same scheme:
- Students study one year each at two different universities–the “entry” university and the “exit” university. All options are located at a leading university in Europe in the field of urban mobility.
- Graduating students will be awarded two officially recognized Master of Science degrees, from each of the two universities. Moreover, the program is designed so that students may attain the qualifications for a certificate awarded by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.*
- During the first-year studies, students will be introduced to Innovation and Entrepreneurship and participate in an extended Challenge Project. During the same year, students will acquire essential technical skills for working with urban mobility challenges.
- Between the first and second year, students will participate in a Summer School applying new skills to two different cities within Europe.
- In the second year, students will choose from several more specialized courses in both technical content and innovation and entrepreneurship. Students will also participate in a shorter challenge project that includes an internship at a company or organization working to meet urban mobility challenges. To complete their degree, in the second year, students will carry out an independent master thesis, combining and demonstrating their full set of technical and entrepreneurial skills.
- You will have a wide range of career opportunities, within the public and private sector, as well as the business know-how to start your own business or conduct rigorous research.
Where can I study Smart Mobility Data Science and Analytics?
The available universities for the Smart Mobility Data Science and Analytics program are**:
- Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
- University of Tartu, Estonia
- UPC Barcelona Tech, Spain
**Please note, not all combinations may be possible.
What are the career opportunities?
With our program, you will not just gain a degree as a data scientist in transportation and mobility. You will graduate with training in entrepreneurship & innovation, practical experience in the industry, and a strong network throughout the EU, unlocking incredible opportunities for your career in the world of Big Mobility Data.
The skills acquired during the program are highly demanded in all the sectors related to mobility and transport and at every level in the industry - private companies in logistics and transport management, ride-sharing startups, the automotive sector, and cities and public institutions.
About the School
Our double degree programmes combine excellent technical education with training in innovation and entrepreneurship as well as internships at companies, industry partners and cities across Europe.