We offer the only sports psychology Masters in Scotland that’s accredited by the British Psychological Society. Our interdisciplinary course is designed to meet the current needs of this growing industry and prepare you for a range of rewarding jobs.
You’ll develop a critical understanding of contemporary sports psychology theory and research that you can draw on to facilitate better performances by individuals and teams. You’ll graduate with a broad knowledge of the field, as well as clear insights into the areas that interest you most. You’ll also benefit from the presence of elite-level athletes and sports agencies based right here on the University campus.
Our expert teaching staff includes Chartered Psychologists, registered Sport and Exercise Psychologists and practitioners and supervisors accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences. All of their knowledge and research has been incorporated into this Masters course, so you can be confident you’ll leave Stirling with the best possible preparation for a career in sports psychology.
Top reasons to study with us
- Accredited by the British Psychological Society.
- Learn from leading experts in the field of sports psychology.
- Study among elite athletes and use world-class facilities at Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence.
The objective of this course is to ensure you can:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of key theories in sports psychology, including a broad knowledge of psychological skills, strategies and techniques to facilitate performance enhancement within individuals and teams.
- Apply a variety of assessment methods in order to develop comprehensive profiles for performance enhancement work.
- Identify areas of practice that could benefit from research and design.
- Conduct and evaluate an appropriate investigation.
- Develop and utilise quantitative and qualitative research skills.
An unrivalled environment
As Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence, we’re closely aligned with many sports bodies and have links with a growing number of organisations who can help to facilitate research projects, work experience and guest lectures. Our campus is also home to the National Tennis Centre, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a golf course and a host of other five-star facilities. As you study for your Psychology of Sport Masters, you’ll also have a chance to develop your experience by working with some of the elite athletes who make use of these facilities.
This course is accredited by the British Psychological Society. It satisfies Stage 1 training and enables progression onto Stage 2 on route to becoming a sport and exercise psychologist.
Earn an accredited Masters in sports psychology from Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence.
The course includes five modules and a dissertation project. You’ll need to complete them all to earn your Masters degree, although you can also graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certificate by completing limited elements of the course.
You’ll be taught through lectures, seminars, group work, presentations, tutorials, guided independent study, professional practice experiences and the University’s virtual learning environment. Individual tutorials are also available for providing feedback and for the supervision of your research project.
Assessment involves a mixture of coursework and presentations and will vary according to the context of each module.
Dr Calum Arthur
+44 (0)1786 467345
Fees - 2020/2021
- Home/EU: £8,500
- Overseas: £18,950
About the School
At the University of Stirling, being the difference is in our DNA – providing education with a purpose and carrying out research that helps to shape society.