Cities face challenges every day. In order to remain sustainable and competitive, they need progressive urban managers with skills in strategic urban planning, greening and sustainability policies, governance and policy development, economic and financial analysis. Our 12-month Master's degree is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge to be competent urban managers in public, private and not-for-profit organisations. The Master's degree in Urban Management and Development is a great stepping stone for those seeking to enter the field of urban management who are searching for a graduate experience that combines academic learning and practical knowledge.
What will I learn?
The intensive 12-month MSc is divided into three main periods: a core period, a specialization period and a thesis period.
In the core period students will:
- Study cities from different perspectives: complex city, sustainable city, green city, livable city and competitive city.
- Learn how to manage the complex urban multidisciplinary environment.
- Learn how to employ action and strategic planning techniques, policy analysis, research methods and negotiation and communication.
- Gain in-depth insight into urban issues, policies and trends around the world.
In the specialisation period, students can choose one from the following 6 topics as their specialisation track and one as their elective:
- Urban Strategies & Planning
- Urban Environment & Climate Change
- Managing & Financing Urban Infrastructure
- Urban Competitiveness & Resilience
- Urban Housing, Equity & Social Justice
- Urban Land Governance
In the thesis period students will write their Master's thesis on a topic linked to their specialisation.
What are some of the most exciting components of this program?
- It offers a degree from a top 100 university globally (#72 in the world).
- Students learn in the heart of urban innovation, Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- Students get a chance to tailor their programme with a specialisation track.
- It's highly international (students from more than 45 countries).
- It's taught by academic staff who are also active urban professionals and policy advisers.
- It includes guest lectures from high profile guest lecturers from key stakeholders in the field (e.g. UN-HABITAT)
How will I learn?
To maximize retention, confidence, and practical know-how in the students, material is taught using working groups, group assignments, field visits and fieldwork. In interactive lectures, workshops, and discussions, students engage in group and individual exercises, analyze cases, give presentations and write papers and essays which deepen their knowledge about the concepts and theory.
What can I expect at the end of my studies?
In the end, the program aims to create leaders who analyze and develop cities based on in-depth understanding of urban theory and practice. And to back this up, students will receive a worldwide recognized Master of Science degree from IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Want to learn more about where to apply, course dates, scholarship opportunities and more? Submit your enquiry and join us here in Rotterdam!
Program taught in: