The MSc Professional Accounting programme has a strong focus on professional training, equipping you with the skills and knowledge to succeed in an international business career.
You will study the professional syllabus of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and will obtain exemptions from all six professional-level papers of the exams needed to gain chartered accountant status (subject to validation of the programme by ICAEW), as well as receiving preparation to sit the final advanced-level papers.
The programme is delivered in the International Business School Suzhou (IBSS), one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS). Less than 100 business schools worldwide have both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation.
Why Study Professional Accounting at XJTLU?
- Benefit from XJTLU's strategic location in Suzhou - home to one of China's largest economies and many Fortune 500 companies;
- Get support from IBSS's career development team who engage with national and multinational employers to identify the potential internship and job opportunities for our students and graduates;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Professional Accounting, you will have:
- theoretical understandings appropriate to the study of accounting at postgraduate level;
- an awareness of key current issues, theory and practice in the field of accounting;
- skills in professional accounting and financial decision-making, evaluation and analysis of financial data and the techniques required to evaluate and act upon complex financial and tax-related issues encountered in practice;
- the knowledge necessary towards qualifying and operating as a chartered accountant.
"Studying on this programme has deepened my exploration of crucial professional knowledge and prepared me well for my career with a world-leading accounting firm, PwC."
Alumna, MSc Professional Accounting, China, Assurance Associate, PwC
- Financial Strategy
- Financial Accounting & Reporting
- Audit & Assurance
- Business Strategy & Management
- Tax Compliance
- Business Planning - Taxation
- Corporate Reporting & Auditing I
- Strategic Business Management
- Corporate Reporting & Auditing II
- Integrated Case Study
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The additional learning activities on MSc Professional Accounting include:
- Introduction to research methods
- Personal and employability skills
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese Language
- Graduate teaching assistantship
- Graduate research assistantship
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- Thomson One Certificate achievement
- EIKON Certificate achievement
- Datastream Certificate achievement
- Professional software skills
- Volunteer work for University and School projects and events
- Field trip/company visit
- Career development activities
- Graduate work placement
- Professional accounting learning support sessions
- China tax and international tax
- Online training leading to professional accounting skills
This programme is designed to prepare you to qualify as a chartered accountant with the ICAEW. Graduates will also be well prepared to undertake other professional accountancy exams, such as those offered by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.
RMB 140,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in accounting. It is essential to have passed at least four ICAEW Certificate Level (CFAB) papers on entry. Equivalent degrees or papers are also acceptable if qualified as Credit for Prior Learning by ICAEW or ACCA. Students who have not completed CFAB will need to do so prior to seeking full membership of the ICAEW.
- Applicants who do not have an equivalent UK degree in Accounting will also be considered if they have completed the six ICAEW Certificate Level (CFAB) papers or equivalent. Applicants with a professional background rather than a degree need to demonstrate relevant training record and working experience in an accounting and finance environment. Such applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and are subject to approval by XJTLU Academic Affairs.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"Undoubtedly, professional and modern accounting education will help you to move up to the corporate ladder at a faster pace in view of the opportunities and challenges opened up by artificial intelligence, blockchain and other new business and economic drivers in China and beyond."
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
Application cut-off dates
To effectively manage the application and admissions process, important cut-off dates for applying for Master's programmes (September 2020 Intake) of International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) are introduced: 30th April, 31st May and 30th June 2020.
Programme Directors will review applications received from the Master's Admissions Team, Graduate School at XJTLU on each cut-off date. Only applications with full documents that have been reviewed by the Master's Admissions Team will be passed to Programme Directors. You are strongly advised to submit your completed application by providing all required supporting documents at least one week prior to the cut-off date. Incomplete applications will be automatically postponed to the next round review. Under normal circumstances, applicants will receive application outcomes no longer than 2 weeks after each cut-off date.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More