Important: if you are an international student requiring a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK you will also need an ATAS certificate for this course.
Choose Kingston's Mechanical Engineering MSc
This course, accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, is designed to provide you with the latest technological knowledge and industrial management skills, at an advanced level of study, in specific aspects of mechanical engineering that are in demand from industry. The course also provides you with a strategic overview of engineering and management skills necessary to take on leadership roles in major engineering projects.
The MSc will meet, in part, the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as a Chartered Engineer. Accredited MSc graduates who also have a BEng(Hons) accredited for CEng, will be able to show that they have satisfied the educational base for CEng registration.
- Teaching in many technical modules is backed up by appropriate hands-on experience and workshops, which can be transferred directly to your working environment.
- Academic teaching is complemented by visits from industry experts. You will also have plenty of opportunities to attend relevant technical seminars, both within and outside the University.
- You can tailor your course to enhance your career ambitions through your module choices, whilst the project dissertation gives you the opportunity to choose a field of study in which to establish yourself as a specialist.
What will you study?
This course will provide a broad and in-depth understanding of mechanical design engineering, modern materials application and advanced manufacturing technology. You will employ advanced computer-based mechanical engineering design analysis and problem-solving, using cutting-edge technologies such as finite elements analysis (FEA), computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and mechanism design analysis and control. What's more, you will develop the entrepreneurial management and business skills necessary to take on leadership roles in major engineering projects.
The project dissertation challenges you to investigate a theoretical area in depth and solve a real-world problem.
Coursework and/or exams, research project.
Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list.
- Engineering Research Techniques, Entrepreneurship and Quality Management
- Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineering Applications
- Advanced Stress Analysis and Materials
- Engineering Individual Project
Option modules (choose one)
- Advanced CAD/CAM Systems
- Green Engineering and Energy Efficiency
- Mechatronics Design and Automation
Learn a language
You will have the opportunity to study a foreign language, free of charge, during your time at the University as part of the Kingston Language Scheme. Options currently include: Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
Cost & Fees
Home and European Union 2016/17
- MSc part time £3,465
- MSc full time £6,300
Overseas (not EU) 2016/17
- MSc part time £7,095
- MSc full time £12,900