If you are looking to forge yourself a career in marketing, the MSc in Marketing at Bristol Business School will give you a solid qualification, and the skills and insights, to lift you above other candidates in the job market in a variety of different industry sectors, whatever your background or UG degree subject area.
This well-established and the highly respected course will give you a thorough academic grounding in the subject, as well as developing your knowledge, experience and skills, to open the door to a wide range of rewarding marketing careers.
The latest marketing know-how
This is a fast-paced field, and the course is kept constantly updated and relevant to the latest developments in business practice. You will develop a comprehensive grounding in:
- Planning, strategy development and implementation
- Analysis of customers, markets and industry
- Marketing communications
- Research, investigations and data analysis.
The skills you need to succeed
The course is also designed to develop your problem-solving abilities and give you extensive opportunities for further personal development. We take a structured approach to developing the professional skills you need to be successful in this field. This includes both intellectual skills exploring different ways of thinking; and practical skills, such as communication, numerical and presentation capabilities.
A real-world focus
The course draws heavily on real-world issues, so you will learn the theory but also how to apply it to real-life situations. You will also have plenty of opportunities to engage with employers, with guest lecturers from industry, and research opportunities where you can work on real marketing problems.
This course is ideal if you are at the start of your marketing career.
PhotoMIX / Pixabay
You will study:
- Contemporary Marketing Practice - This module introduces you to the theory and practice of marketing. It begins by looking at the traditional target marketing approach before looking at more recent developments in marketing thought. This module will also introduce the idea of thinking skills, encouraging you to take a systematic approach to the way you tackle business problems, using theory to structure your approach.
- Strategic Marketing Planning - In this module, you will learn how to analyse an organisation's environment, making decisions on how it can deploy its resources for maximum advantage. The module will review a number of different tools and techniques which aid strategic analysis, strategy development and implementation.
- Marketing Analytics - Marketing depends on good information about the organisation, its customers and its competitors. In Marketing Analytics, you will learn how to design and implement systems for monitoring marketing activities, integrating financial and non-financial information to support organisational learning.
- Principles of Marketing Communications - This module takes an in-depth look at the tools and techniques of promotion. As well as looking at the strengths of weaknesses of different communications media, you will learn the more fundamental principles of message development, framing and delivery, ensuring that communications media are used as effectively as possible.
- Research Methods for Marketing - This module builds on the learning from the Marketing Analytics module. As well as learning how to define and plan research projects, you will develop skills in gathering data, whether from focus groups, surveys or observation. The focus on this module is primarily on marketing research, but we will also look at the similarities to and differences from academic research.
- Global marketing - Whilst all of the modules on the Master's programme adopt a global perspective, this module looks specifically at the challenges of developing international markets. As well as learning techniques for researching and evaluating intentional markets, you will become familiar with different modes of market entry, as well as the common dangers and benefits of global marketing.
- Marketing Dissertation and Research Methods.
- Work-based Project and Research Methods.
The optional modules listed are those that are most likely to be available, but they may be subject to change.
You will choose two additional subjects from the optional modules below, allowing you to specialise in areas relevant to your chosen career path:
- Digital Marketing or Corporate Communications
- Customer Relationship Management
- Social Marketing Principles and Policy
- Promotion and Society
- People and Organisations
- Entrepreneurial Decision Making
- Retail and Fashion Marketing: Design and Delivery.
or, one from the optional modules above, plus one from:
- People and Organisations
- People and Organisations in an International Context.
In addition to these modules, your dissertation gives you the chance to research an area of the marketing of particular interest to you and of relevance to your career or company. You will have the choice of working on an academic-type dissertation or a work-based one, where you will work on a live marketing project. You will attend a number of dissertation workshops to provide you with the research training sufficient to produce a quality dissertation.
Previous dissertation topics include:
- From Bond to Beckham the Evolution of Male Grooming
- Success factors in Capital and Revenue projects within Bristol Parks
- What Influences Pre-adolescent Girls to Buy in a Social Network
The University continually enhances our offer by responding to feedback from our students and other stakeholders, ensuring the curriculum is kept up to date and our graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need for the real world. This may result in changes to the course. If changes to your course are approved we will inform you.
Learning and Teaching
This is a 'conversion' Masters course, and we assume no prior study of marketing. You'll learn through formal classes and seminar sessions, as well as through group work and independent study. The work will include assignments, exercises, case studies and presentations with an emphasis on independent learning to develop your problem-solving skills.
You will also have access to a range of study materials online through our virtual learning environment. This includes online lectures, five-minute 'talking head' discussions and other syllabus-related material to support your learning.
For the full-time course, you will attend the Business School for one year, study two to three days per week, and submit your dissertation in September. You can, however, choose to submit your dissertation in December, therefore taking 15 months to complete the course.
Part-time, fast track
This mode of delivery is designed for students who are unable to get time to study during normal working hours. For each of the modules, you will normally attend two one-day workshops (around 10 per year in total). These workshops will normally take place on Saturdays. The remainder of the materials is delivered online. Although there is some flexibility for you to work through these at their own pace, there will be several live online tutorials to provide feedback and to keep you on track to meet assessment deadlines. You will also be required to attend examinations up to twice a year. The course takes two years to complete.
You may negotiate an individual programme, involving study alongside the full-time students and/or modules from the Part-time, fast track mode. This might take as long as six years, but most students on this mode of study complete the course in three years, studying one day per week.
If you have been out of higher education for a while, we provide skills sessions to help prepare you for studying again as well as sessions for non-native English speakers.
Assessment is through supervised mini-projects, presentations, time-constrained assignments and examinations.
In our new £55m Bristol Business School, you'll have access to cutting-edge learning spaces.
Designed with student input, the Business School offers learning spaces for individual and group study, interactive learning environments and conference rooms you can book. It's a space for students and businesses to come together, collaborate and form new partnerships.
Integrity Research Scheme
As a student on this course, you will be able to apply to take part in the Integrity Research Scheme. This gives you the chance to gain practical market research experience, where you will work with a client on a real research project and gain valuable insight into what it's like to work as a market research consultant.
Meet leaders of the industry
As a student at Bristol Business School, you will have the opportunity to hear about the challenges, issues and decisions being made at the highest level of strategic leadership. Our inspirational line up of speakers has included Will King, CEO of King of Shaves who spoke on 'The Power of Social Media'.
You will need:
- an honours degree of 2:2 or above in any subject; or
- an equivalent academic qualification; or
- a relevant academic or professional qualification plus significant marketing or general business experience: please give full details in your application.
UWE Bristol's International College
International students who do not meet the academic or English language requirements to study this course can qualify by completing a preparatory study at our International College.
English language support
If you meet the academic requirements but require additional support to take your language skills to the required level, you may be able to attend one of our pre-sessional English courses. Students who successfully complete the pre-sessional course can progress onto their chosen degree course without retaking an IELTS or equivalent.
Careers / Further study
Marketing is central to success in modern business the professional skills of the marketing expert are increasingly a passport through to the most senior positions in companies. This includes roles such as digital marketing manager, commercial director, marketing and development manager, head of business development and marketing, and senior direct marketing manager.
The MSc in Marketing at Bristol Business School will give you the broad-based skills and intellectual confidence needed to get started and get ahead in your career.
You will also have the opportunity to focus in on specific areas of marketing through the optional modules and your dissertation. Our graduates have gone on to work with employers such as Creative England, SCISYS and Telefónica UK.
About the School
UWE Bristol is a University Alliance university with a common mission to make the difference to our cities and regions. We use our experience of providing high-quality teaching and research with real- ... Read More