MSc Islamic Finance and Management
This one-year full-time programme is designed to provide rigorous training at the frontier of research, giving you the opportunity to develop the advanced analytical and technical skills that are highly sought after by global employers.
The first of its kind at a global level, MSc Islamic Finance and Management is a cross-disciplinary specialised programme, aiming to provide management-related knowledge and skills to students who, at the same time, specialise in Islamic Finance. This programme requires less quantitative material, knowledge and skills then MSc Islamic Finance.
The programme consists of a set of core and elective modules, culminating in a practice-based business project or a research-based dissertation.
Core and elective modules
You will study:
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- Islamic Law and Financial Transactions
- Islamic Political Economy
- Islamic Accounting
- Organisational Behaviour
- Islamic Management
- Risk Management Issues in Islamic Finance
- Research Methods and Dissertation.
You will then choose one elective modules. The list of modules may vary from year to year, but has typically included Decision Making and Business Modelling, Financial Management, Global Business, Islamic Capital Markets, and Strategic Marketing Management.
In the third term, you will complete a 12,000 word dissertation which could be a specific project with an organisation. Supervised by a faculty member with relevant experience, you will investigate in greater detail a subject that you have already studied as part of your programme. A major piece of independent work, the dissertation will enable you to exercise critical judgement and illustrate how economic analysis has relevance to financial decision taking.
Adding to your experience
- International Study Tour
We organise an optional International Study Tour to a European destination, typically Switzerland. This intensive programme takes place over several days, normally in March/April, and offers you a great opportunity to get an ‘inside perspective’ on international business, and to network with key staff within organisations.
- International Conferences
We organise and sponsor international conferences on Islamic economics and finance in collaboration with other leading global academic institutions such as the Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI) of the Islamic Development Bank; International Shari’ah Research Academy (ISRA), Malaysia; and Kyoto University, Japan.
As part of your programme, you have the opportunity to enjoy presentations by academics and practitioners within your chosen area of interest. Past speakers have included leading academics and professional financiers and bankers, providing an ideal opportunity to gain practical knowledge and progressive insight in Islamic finance related areas.
Here are the steps in the admissions process:
- We will let you know when we’ve received your application.
- Once we’ve received all of your supporting documents, we will email you to let you know our decision.
- If the decision is to make you an offer of a place on the programme we will let you know by email. Please note we do not issue hard copy offer letters as these are not required to obtain a student visa.
- If you have requested university accommodation on your application form, the college will contact you direct. They will send you an accommodation application form, which you should complete and return direct to the college.
- You should confirm acceptance of your offer as soon as possible. In order to secure your place, you are required to pay a deposit within six weeks of the date of your original offer (check your offer documents for details of payment methods).
- International students requiring a student visa will receive a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies) via email once all offer conditions are met, acceptance and deposit have been received and you are within five months of the start date of your programme.
Please note: You must let us know your own personal email address when applying. Please do not use a university-linked email which may stop working once you complete your bachelor degree.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 16, 2017