MSc Investment Analysis
This programme will provide students with knowledge, understanding and the skills appropriate for careers in the financial sector particularly in banking or investment management. The programme has a strong focus on practical application of finance within a trading or corporate setting. In the summer term, students have the option of attending preparation and revision classes for the CFA Level One programme. The programme culminates in a financial analyst evaluation of a UK listed company for your 60 credit final project.
Outline of programme
You will study equity, debt and derivative markets in domestic and international sectors. You will discover how to undertake security valuation and portfolio management as well as learning about the key techniques used by financial traders. The knowledge and skills from the taught modules will be blended together for the final investment analysis project. Students are encouraged to complete the Reuters Certification – a recognised professional qualification.
- Valuation of Investments (A)
- Quantitative Methods for Finance
- Business Finance
- Security Analysis
- Valuation of Investments (B)
- Investment Management
- Trading Techniques
- International Finance.
The taught modules are assessed predominantly through examinations complemented by a substantial piece of research leading to the valuation project.
In 2014 the MSc Investment Analysis at Aston was recognised as having equivalence to the CISI Diploma: Aston Business School supports students in gaining full membership of the CISI as part of their studies. The Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) is the largest and most widely respected professional body for those who work in the securities and investment industry in the UK and in a growing number of financial centres globally.
This programme provides you with the knowledge, understanding and skills appropriate to careers in the financial, insurance and corporate sectors. Examples of recent positions secured by graduates include: Pricing Analyst - Opel GM (Norway), Consultant – PwC (Vietnam), Investment and Exchange Banker - BNP Paribas (Beligium) and Wealth Planning - Management Associate - ING (Hong Kong).
One of the following:
- A good UK honours degree (minimum lower second class)
- Equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University.
As well as:
- Two professional references – at least one must be from an academic referee
- An official academic transcript of your university grades to date
- A completed application form.
For International Students:
- An official academic transcript, with an official English translation, of your university grades to date
- International students whose native language is not English will also need to satisfy our English language requirements with one of the following:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of 93 overall, with a minimum score of 22 in speaking, 19 in listening, 26 in writing and 18 in reading. Please note that TOEFL scores are subject to terms and conditions.
- IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.5 in writing and speaking and 6 in listening and reading).
Pre-sessional English language programmes are available for good applicants whose English qualification falls just short of these requirements.
This school offers programs in: