Available start dates
- September 2017
- January 2018
- September 2018
- Headington Campus, Gipsy Lane
- Full time: MSc: 12 months or 24 months in sandwich mode, which includes one year's full-time paid supervised work experience.
- Part time: 24 months for UK and EU students (teaching normally provided on one day or two half days each week during semesters.)
This specialist MSc course develops ambitious students to become future leaders of the hospitality and tourism industry. Successful applicants will normally have a bachelor's degree in business, hospitality, or tourism management and a minimum of one year's relevant work experience. After completing your academic studies you will have the option to undertake a one-year paid work placement as part of the course. You will be fully supported in finding a placement and supervised throughout. You will build on your previous studies and work experience by developing your ability to think strategically across core management disciplines. You will have the opportunity to specialise in your chosen area. Our unique Bacchus Mentoring Programme gives you one-to-one support from a senior professional, who will help you to develop your professional skills and advise you on your future career. This is one of the many opportunities you will have to benefit from the strong relationships that the school has with industry professionals worldwide.
Why choose this course?
The Oxford School of Hospitality Management is ranked top in the UK for hospitality management education (CEOWorld magazine, 2015). In a recent survey, 100% of our students said they would recommend us to potential students (PTES 2015). You will learn from recognised experts in their fields – those who write the b ooks that support your learning, and frequently engage with industry experts through our range of events and international visiting speaker programme that provide you with opportunities to interact with professionals, employers, academics, students and alumni. This helps you to develop your networking skills and gain useful, global contacts for the future. You will be mentored by a leading senior figure from industry, who will help with your professional development. In addition, our dedicated Careers Centre provides you with extensive support in securing graduate jobs and placements. They invite leading hospitality employers to visit the campus and recruit students. You will become a member of the school’s Bacchus Society, which will give you the opportunity to meet successful alumni and industry experts at a range of events to help you build up a network of industry contacts. Our students often find jobs through this kind of networking. Learning and teaching is student-centred, participative and interactive - practice and theory is integrated into your learning and assessment. You will take part in workshops, seminars, lectures, case study analysis and one-to-one tutorials. You can customise assignments to suit your own interests. You have the option to take a one-year, full-time, paid work placement to further enhance your career prospects. Our students and staff come from all over the world. This gives you a multicultural learning and social environment in one of the world's great student cities, Oxford.
After graduation from this course you will have excellent career prospects in hospitality and tourism – especially in the international hotel industry. Our graduates go on to work for the leading hotel brands in a wide range of roles either in the UK or internationally with companies like Accor, Compass, Carnival, Four Seasons, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Shangri-La, Mandarin Oriental, Marriott, Rezidor, Sodexho, Sol Melia, Starwood and TUI. Depending upon their prior experience, graduates have obtained supervisory/junior management positions and operational roles. The optional one-year work placement is a great opportunity for those who would like to gain work experience in the hospitality industry after the course. By doing a work placement you will receive:
- Paid, full-time work experience
- Practical experience with a top employer in the hospitality, events and tourism industry
- A dedicated service to guide your placement search
- Tailored placement skills development workshops
- Continual support from the school
- Improved graduate employability
- The chance of a firm offer of employment
Some students choose an academic career by studying for a PhD with us, or in other universities. Our study programme provides students with excellent preparation for doctoral studies and careers in teaching in universities.
A minimum of a second class honours degree (2:2) in business, hotel, tourism and management (or equivalent) plus at least one year's work experience in the hotel and tourism industry. Entry will also be subject to two satisfactory references (one of these must be an academic reference). English language requirements If English is not your first language you will need to satisfy the university's English language requirements:
- IELTS minimum level 6.0, (with a minimum of 6.0 in reading and writing, and 5.5 in listening and speaking).
- If you have completed your undergraduate degree in the UK (at least one full year of study) you will automatically meet our English language requirements
English requirements for visas If you need a student visa to enter the UK you will need to meet the UK Visas and Immigration minimum language requirements as well as the university's requirements. Find out more about English language requirements.
Preparation courses for International and EU students We offer a range of courses to help you to meet the entry requirements for this course and also familiarise you with university life. You may also be able to apply for one student visa to cover both courses.
- If you need to take a pre-master's course to help you to meet both the English language and academic entry requirements for your master's course, you can take our two year master’s course. This course combine the pre-master's diploma and your master's in one application. You can apply for one visa for the two years of study.
- If you need to improve your English language, we have pre-sessional English language courses available to help you to meet the English language requirements of your chosen master’s.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 12, 2017