This programme is designed for graduates who wish to develop a thorough understanding of key issues in international business and management, with a particular focus on how firms might internationalise and develop effective international business strategies to address business threats and opportunities in the international market.
The programme combines specialist taught courses with general training in management, business organisation, strategy and research methods. You also complete a dissertation on a topic covered by the programme, supervised by a member of staff undertaking research within that area.
Students completing the programme develop knowledge, skills and the competency to be able to analyse critical issues in international business with both qualitative and quantitative methods, and to design and implement international business strategy and policy development. It is particularly relevant if you are, or would like to be, a manager with responsibility for international business and policy affairs in a private or public sector organisation.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sports management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
The Programme Director and Personal Tutor for this programme is Dr P. E. Tolentino.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Provides you with a critical, research-based understanding of a broad range of key issues in international business and management.
- Taught by a team with an international reputation in their respective areas. Birkbeck's Strategy and International Business Research Group supports the programme as a centre for research, training and policy advice on foreign direct investment and knowledge diffusion, globalisation of innovative activities, comparative business systems and management, international human resource management and international business strategy. The research group organises seminars and publishes major books and academic papers in the world’s leading journals within its field of interest.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- Academic tutorial support and guidance systems are in place in the Department of Management to ensure your academic and personal development. The School also has a dedicated learning coordinator, who will support you in your studies and offer help and advice on a wide range of study skills.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
Careers and employability
The programme is suitable for professional careers in any area of international business, or in public organisations where an understanding of various aspects of international business and management is essential. Our students are from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences (both from the private and public sector), and a significant proportion take our programme part-time in conjunction with their other professional commitments in order to widen their career options.
In past graduate destination surveys, our graduates told us they were applying their knowledge, skills and expertise by working for multinational companies such as Barclays, UBS, ESAB Holdings, as well as for international embassies based in London. In addition, our graduates were working for a range of consulting companies.
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 1, 2018