The pace of the globalisation of national economies has accelerated in recent years, and this has led to a more dynamic relationship between international business activities and economic and social development.
This programme is suitable for graduates who are, or seek to be, employed in relevant government departments, non-governmental organisations, international agencies or private companies involved in, or related to, international business and economic development. It also provides a foundation for those wishing to undertake doctoral research in international business and development.
Topics covered include international business and economic and social development, international business strategies in both developed and emerging markets, public sector management, sustainable livelihoods and sustainable development, impact assessment, and resource and environmental management.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sports management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Aims to develop your capability to critically assess international business strategies and development policy issues.
- Taught by a team with an international reputation in their respective areas.
- Our University of London degrees are respected nationally and internationally as a sign of excellence. You can choose to study either part-time or full-time. Classes are taught via a combination of lectures and seminars, some of which will be offered by guest lecturers and speakers. Because our students come from such a variety of backgrounds and range in age and experience, you will find your class discussions a stimulating arena in which to explore new ideas and topics. You will be able to attend revision sessions in the summer term before the examination period. You will receive expert research supervision in the preparation of your dissertation.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- Our international business courses draw on the expertise of Birkbeck's International Business and Strategy Research Group, which is a leading centre in London for research, training and policy advice on foreign direct investment and knowledge diffusion, globalisation of innovative activities, comparative business systems and management, international human resource management and international business strategy. They combine specialist taught courses with general training in management, business organisation, strategy and research methods. In studying with Birkbeck, you can be confident that you are pursuing a qualification that is well respected by employers and academics.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles that are required for your studies.
Careers and employability
Graduates go on to careers in management in a variety of settings, including local and national government, business and industry.
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5225 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 10450 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 7975 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 15950 pa
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 30, 2018