Working with businesses on an international scale takes skill and strategy. We’ll help you develop the expertise to succeed in the world of global enterprise.
Take on new and emerging markets in an international context. On this course, we'll help you to develop vital skills in international business management.
As well as ethical and global management, you’ll also refine your expertise by exploring the political economy and how it can affect global trade.
You can tailor the course to concentrate on areas that you find most interesting by selecting option units from a wide range of business specialisms.
We’ll also help you understand working practices from different territories and build the skills you need to effectively manage people from different cultures and backgrounds.
Going beyond the theory
Guest lectures, delivered by leaders from a variety of sectors, will give you a well-rounded view of different career paths in international business.
You’ll also have the opportunity to take an optional 36-48 week internship which will give you a unique insight into how international organisations work. This could be a real boost to your career, allowing you to add relevant, professional experience to your CV.
Features and Benefits
- Taught by experts – You’ll learn from academics with experience working for global businesses. They also carry out cutting-edge research in their fields which feeds into your learning.
- Triple accredited – Our business school holds the globally recognised trio of accreditations from EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA, placing us among the best business schools in the world.
- A city of opportunities – With global organisations and innovative start-ups, Manchester offers a wealth of opportunities. Use our connections with employers to enhance your studies and professional network.
- Unique insights – Learn from guest lecturers who have experience working on an international scale. You’ll get an insider’s view of some of the world’s most ambitious global businesses.
- Customisable degree – Specialises in the areas of international business that you’re most interested in to help shape your future career.
- Optional internship – Gain extensive professional experience during an optional 36-48 week internship with international business.
- Boost your employability – Explore a wide range of management roles all over the world. The skills you develop on this course are relevant across international markets.
“Being overseas for the first time, I felt that studying international business would give me an insight in to how things work in different cultures. Choosing to study at Manchester Met is one of the best decisions I ever made."
MSc International Business Management
This course will give you the skills and understanding to manage business operations in an interconnected, globalised economy. You will gain an understanding of how economic, political, regulatory, social and cultural influences impact business management for multinational organisations and/or in a global marketplace.
You’ll study several core topics, covering areas from theories of international business, to international strategic management. From there, you’ll complete a research methods unit which will prepare you for your dissertation research project.
You will also have the opportunity to choose from a selection of optional units that allow you to tailor your studies to your passions and ambitions.
Please note: Option units are subject to availability.
- Research methods
- Development finance
- International strategic management
- International business and emerging markets
- Global corporate power in the international economy
- Theories of international business
- Critical and contextual thinking for international business
- Dissertation - international business management
You can gain useful work experience through the Business School’s Postgraduate Internship Programme. With a short-term internship, you’ll not only show potential employers that you’re ready to get to work, you’ll also gain some vital experience and make some valuable connections for your professional network.
While an internship involves at least 100 hours of work – starting any time between November and early August – how you do those hours is flexible. You could work full time during a break in your studies, or you might do a day or two a week throughout term time, fitting it around your studies.
Optional internship year
When you have successfully completed your taught units, you will have the opportunity to undertake a 36-48 week internship. You will be supported by our Placement Office, who have extensive contacts with the industry and over 25 years of experience of helping students to find placements.
The Placement Office advertise a variety of opportunities, support and advise on the application and recruitment process and continue to support you whilst you are away from the University.
An additional fee applies to this internship.
Study and assessment breakdown
10 credits equate to 100 hours of study, which is a combination of lectures, seminars and practical sessions, and independent study. A Masters qualification typically comprises of 180 credits, a PGDip 120 credits, a PGCert 60 credits and an MFA 300 credits. The exact composition of your study time and assessments for the course will vary according to your option choices and style of learning, but it could be:
- Full-time 20% lectures, seminars or similar; 0% placement; 80% independent study
- Full-time 100% coursework; 0% practical; 0% examination
Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in a business-related subject. We will also consider your application if you have significant management experience or degree equivalent professional qualifications.
English language requirements
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Fees and Funding
UK and EU Students
- Full-time fee: £9,250 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
Non-EU and Channel Island Students
- Full-time fee: £17,000 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits, a PGDip 120 credits, a PGCert 60 credits, and an MFA 300 credits. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of study provided the course is completed in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
- Optional estimate: £400
All of the books required for the course are available from the library. The University also has PC labs and a laptop loan service. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. Students may also need to print their assignments and other documents. Campus printing costs start from 5p per page. Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop of up to £100 each year for books and printing.
We want you to be able to explore opportunities across the world with confidence. We’ll help you demonstrate your expertise to future employers in a wide range of business sectors.
You’ll be well placed to go for managerial positions in international operations, such as:
- International Account Manager
- Customs Compliance Specialist
- Trade and Export Specialist
- Marketing Manager
- Management Analyst
During your studies, you’ll be able to take advantage of our regular schedule of employability events such as employer cafes and jobs fairs. This is your opportunity to network with employers and enhances your professional CV.
Previous graduates have found management roles in global companies such as Ernst & Young, BNY Mellon, and Vantage. You’ll also have the option to enter the world of consultancy or apply your newly acquired skills to create your own business.
About the School
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years ... Read More