MSc International Business: Entrepreneurship and SME Management
The Entrepreneurship and SME Management track is a true exercise in ‘learning by doing’. As well as theory courses, you will take an empirical skills training course; the latter means that you have the chance to put the former into practice.
Work experience – as part of your studies
As part of the ‘empirical’ nature of the track, you will have the opportunity to gain experience whilst studying in one of two ways:
• Setting up a student company – the skills and expertise of an accountant and a business coach, who has set up several companies, will be available to you
• Helping the management team of an existing SME – you will have the opportunity to work with a company in Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands, due to Maastricht’s geographical location. This adds to the internationalism of the track
Entrepreneurship and SME Management is available as a 1-year, full-time programme or a 2-year, part-time programme. It is taught entirely in English. Graduates will receive a master's degree in International Business with a specialisation in Entrepreneurship and SME Management.
The department works together with several organisations that can help you not only with your career but also with your thesis and student company. These include the Centre for Entrepreneurship, which organises business plan competitions and round-table discussions with entrepreneurs, as well as inviting well-known entrepreneurs to speak. The SME portal gathers issues from small businesses that are often used as case studies and company projects within the track. The department’s researchers have connections to the European and International Council of Small Businesses and the EIM, a research institute focusing on small businesses. The UM Holding and other faculties can offer help on your thesis or student company; examples include buying shares, advice on parenting issues and so on.
Graduates have found positions in:
- their own businesses that they set up themselves
- family businesses that they have later taken over
- management functions in SMEs
- public research institutes
- venture capital firms and banks
- universities to do a PhD in entrepreneurship
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 21, 2018