Our unique MSc International Business (dual award) degree gives you an exceptional opportunity to gain two Master degrees in just 15 months, providing you with a clear competitive advantage. Featuring a highly valuable international internship, as well as the opportunity to study in the UK and abroad, and an in-depth academic project, this is a career-defining degree that will change the way you see the world!
This course is designed to address the competitiveness of the global context compacting the time needed to develop a truly international experience. You will begin by exploring the core areas of International Business here at Nottingham Business School. You will then build on this by studying at one of our acclaimed partner institutions:
- ISCTE Business School in Lisbon, Portugal;
- KEDGE Business School in Marseille, France;
- ESC Clermont Graduate School of Management in Clermont-Ferrand, France;
- The University of Brescia in Brescia Italy; and
- National Sun Yat-sen University in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
This is followed by a valuable 12-week internship and a business research report based either in the UK or overseas, giving you first-hand experience in an internationally focused role. It is an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture or get involved in the international activities of a UK business.
This degree offers you the opportunity to make a major impact on your career in a relatively short period, broadening your horizons and giving you sought-after international exposure.
What you’ll gain from this degree?
- graduate with two degrees – one from Nottingham Business School and one from a partner University.
- critically understand and evaluate the influence used by culture on the way businesses operate internationally.
- A 12-week internship in the UK or abroad – putting you even further ahead of your peers.
- understanding the external and internal environmental aspects of international business behaviour and strategy.
- evaluate the strategic challenges faced by companies in the global business environment.
- apply knowledge, tools and techniques to resolve issues in new and diverse situations within the international business discipline.
Nottingham Business School has both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. We're also ranked in the top 95 European Business Schools in the Financial Times (FT).
What you'll study
At NBS you can create a personalised learning experience, giving you a unique Masters degree that equips you with the skills you'll need, for the career you want. Each of the modules will be delivered over a four week period, with teaching delivered in three weeks and the fourth week left clear for assessment work. This enables you to focus on one subject at a time, whilst allowing time for preparation and assessment work. Take a look at our current term dates to give you an idea of the module structures.
We are currently reviewing the content of our courses for September 2019 entry to ensure that they remain relevant and current to our students’ future ambitions and society. Please continue to check this course page for the latest updates.
- International Business Environment and Strategy (20 credits)
- Organisation and Management (20 credits)
- Cross-Cultural Management (20 credits)
Study abroad at one of our partner institutions
- ISCTE Business School in Lisbon, Portugal: MSc International Management
- The University of Brescia in Brescia, Italy: MSc International Business and Management (as part of this course you will be able to focus on aspects tied to advanced marketing and logistics).
- KEDGE Business School in Marseille, France: MSc Marketing (as part of the course you will be able to choose the curriculum focused on brand management or that focused on sports and events management); MSc Finance and Organisational Management
- ESC Clermont Graduate School of Management in Clermont-Ferrand, France: MSc International Commerce and Digital Marketing; MSc International Project Management
- National Sun Yat-sen University in Kaohsiung, Taiwan*: MBA in Global Human Resource Management (HRM)
*Students who choose to study at National Sun Yat-sen University will need a medical check in Taiwan costing £50.
At the end of the 15-month programme, students will gain the following qualifications:
- MSc International Business from Nottingham Business School (Nottingham Trent University)
- One MSc or MBA from one of our international partners (as outlined above).
You'll complete a 12-week internship in the UK or overseas, giving you first-hand experience in an international focused role. It's an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture or get involved in the international activities of a business.
Business Research Project (40 credits)
In your second semester, you will have the opportunity to study at one of our partner institutions overseas and can elect to specialise in a variety of business and management-related areas. From brand management to corporate finance, the array of options available are plentiful. Upon completion of this semester, you will be able to apply the knowledge and experience gained to both the internship experience in semester three and the business research project in semester four.
Dual Degree Qualifications
When you graduate, you will not only receive an MSc International Business degree from Nottingham Business School but also a degree from one of our partner institutions ISCTE in Lisbon, Portugal; KEDGE in Marseille and ESC Clermont in France; Brescia University in Italy or National Sun Yat-sen University in Taiwan.
NTU’s teaching and learning are gold-rated by the government’s Teaching Excellence Framework – that means you can count on outstanding teaching and learning, an education that’s truly focused on the workplace, and fantastic support in and outside of the classroom.
How you’re taught
Teaching and Learning
Nottingham Business School adopts a distinctive approach to the design of student learning opportunities. Your learning is structured around theory, practice, experience & observation, and reflection & improvement. At each level (course, module and session), you will study different theories, concepts and approaches and be given opportunities to apply these in a range of practical settings. The aim is to enhance your understanding through the direct experience of business, where you will have opportunities to observe business practices and behaviours (including your own) and analyse these using theoretical knowledge. It is our intention that by reflecting on these experiences, you will be able to use these theories to guide your actions and decisions in a business context or even consider how a theory itself might be improved. In this way, we aim to enhance the quality of your learning.
Every postgraduate student will be allocated an Academic Mentor at the beginning of the academic year and you will meet with them regularly throughout the year. Academic Mentors help you make the most of your time at NTU. They will support you in developing and enhancing the qualities and transferable skills necessary for your studies, career progression, professional and personal development.
A range of assessment methods are used across the course, the choice of which reflects the needs and demands of the different types of module. Some modules will assess the ability to work collaboratively in a team and others will assess individual capability. Types of assessment will range from examinations to group presentations including essays, reports, financial analyses, literature reviews and research-based projects.
The interactive nature of the taught sessions offers opportunities to gain feedback on your performance before being formally assessed and increasing use is made of eLearning to further support the feedback process.
In-sessional English language support
In-sessional English language classes are offered to international students at no extra cost. The classes aim to provide focused support for the skills you need in order to develop your English in your subject area.
We know our postgraduate students are a diverse group, with different levels of academic knowledge in their chosen area of study, different cultural and educational backgrounds, and varying levels of personal and professional skills and competencies. The motivations for undertaking postgraduate study vary, but the two main motivators, according to the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (2017), appear to be grouped around two main themes; ‘career progression and employment prospects’ and ‘personal interest’.
At NBS we strive to ensure that these two motivating factors are nurtured and therefore supported. Our students are encouraged to practice and develop the skills and competencies required to critically reflect on their learning, and on their ability to apply this learning to their studies and to real-world complex issues within the workplace. Through a series of curricula and extra-curricular initiatives, strengthened by tailored academic mentor support, NBS provides all our postgraduate students with the ability to participate in a range of challenging and unique activities, projects, events and experiences to enable our students to succeed in a competitive and dynamic global environment.
Gain a truly international experience by studying abroad at one of our partner institutions.
Careers and employability
At Nottingham Business School, we’re focused on your employability from the start of your postgraduate degree. We provide you with a learning experience that integrates theory and practice.
Graduates from this course have gone onto roles within the public, private and third sector, undertaking positions such as:
- foreign trade manager
- project manager
- acquisitions sales representative
- senior policy advisor
We have a dedicated Employability Team who not only help you during your time with us but also the following graduation, they’ll continue to support you by providing a number of services that will help kick-start your career.
Our Employability Team offer a wide range of support from one-to-one appointments with our specially trained consultants, to arranging recruitment fairs and skill building workshops.
Services they provide include:
- Finding placements, internships and part-time work
- Helping you to pursue self-employment
- Advice on taking gap years and timeout
- Information and help on getting into volunteering
- Providing advice on further study.
You have the opportunity to take part in a 12-week internship either in the UK or abroad.
We are continually investing in our facilities, and transforming our learning and teaching environment to create an inspiring and innovative atmosphere.
The School is based in the impressive Newton Building on NTU's City site. In 2009 the building was involved in a £90 million regeneration project on the site. Whilst maintaining its historic beauty, the Grade II listed building was transformed into an ultra-modern complex.
- You can take advantage of the Link Lounge, a space dedicated to Business School students, located on level zero of the Newton building.
- Explore your career prospects with the help of the University's Employability Team.
- You will benefit from spacious teaching rooms and lecture theatres.
- We provide students with a variety of social spaces.
- Your studies will benefit from the £13 million Boots Library.
- You can take advantage of our 24-hour IT facilities.
- Our Student Services Centre will also be on-hand should you need support.
The location of the City site also means that you have easy access to:
- sports facilities
- student accommodation
- music venue
Applicants with non-standard entry requirements and/or relevant experience will be considered on an individual basis
We accept qualifications from schools, colleges and universities all over the world for entry onto our postgraduate degrees. If you’re not sure how your international qualification matches our course requirements please visit our international entry requirements page.
English language entry requirements
If English is not your first language you need to show us that your language skills are strong enough for intensive academic study. We usually ask for an IELTS test and we accept some alternative English language tests.
- For 1-year Masters you'll need a 6.5 grade overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component.
97% of our postgraduates are in work or further study within six months of finishing their degrees (latest Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2016-17).
How to apply
Ready to join us?
Follow these simple steps:
- Register as a new applicant and create an account using our Applicant Portal - don't worry you won't need to complete your application at once, you can come back to it to keep your details safe.
- Fill out and submit your application - make sure to check all the information such as entry requirements before submitting.
- Track the progress of your application – you can do this by logging into the Application Portal.
- Check your offer – As long as you’ve provided all the information we need, we’ll try and make a decision on your application within five to ten working days. However, this can take longer and you should allow at least three weeks for a decision.
- Accept your offer within four weeks - Remember that competition for places is high, and if you don’t accept your offer within four weeks it may lapse. After eight weeks it will be automatically withdrawn.
- Meet the conditions of your offer (if you have any) - Upload all the documents required to meet the conditions of your offer using the My Documents section of the Applicant Portal.
Don’t worry if you’re waiting for results – we recommend applying now, and then adding them to your Application Portal once they arrive.
NTU is ranked 16th overall and 18th for Business, Management and Marketing in the Guardian University League Tables 2019.
Fees and funding
The course fees for 2019 entry have not been set yet but below are September 2018 entry fees as a guide:
- 15 months (full-time): £11,100
- 15 months (full-time): £15,700
Program taught in: