- Duration: 1-year full time
- Start date: September 2019
- Apply by: 1 August (International), 1 September (UK/EU)
Our course equips you with advanced critical thinking skills, a deep understanding of the key issues in the contemporary world of work, and a solid grasp of the remit of human resource management (HRM) as a profession.
You learn how to challenge conventional wisdom and develop your confidence. You cover topics including:
- contemporary context of work, employment, and HRM
- employee engagement and talent management
- strategic and international HRM
- employment relations
- leading, managing and developing people.
This MSc is for you if you’re planning to pursue an HR-focused management career, or if you intend to go on to further study.
How will I study?
You’ll study core modules and options in the autumn and spring terms. In the summer term, you work on your independent project.
You’ll be assessed by a combination of reports, essays, group presentations, group project reports, unseen exams and a research project.
These modules are running in the academic year 2018/19. We also plan to offer them in future academic years. They may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
Core modules are taken by all students on the course. They give you a solid grounding in your chosen subject and prepare you to explore the topics that interest you most.
Alongside your core modules, you can choose options to broaden your horizons and tailor your course to your interests.
How much does it cost?
- UK/EU students: £11,450 per year
- Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £11,450 per year
- International students: £20,750 per year
Note that your fees may be subject to an increase on an annual basis.
Find out typical living costs for studying at Sussex
How can I fund my course?
Postgraduate Masters loans
You can borrow up to £10,609 to help with fees and living costs if your course starts on or after 1 August 2018. Loans are available from the Student Loans Company if you’re from the UK or if you’re an EU national studying for a Masters.
Find out more about Postgraduate Masters Loans
Our aim is to ensure that every student who wants to study with us is able to despite financial barriers, so that we continue to attract talented and unique individuals.
This CIPD-accredited course provides a comprehensive curriculum so that you can enter a range of careers in the field of human resources and take up roles such as:
- compensation and benefits adviser
- diversity and inclusion manager
- employee engagement consultant
- employee relations expert
- HR generalist
- HR information systems adviser
- recruitment and development administrator
- reward manager.
We offer advanced research methods training and the opportunity to carry out an independent piece of research. This prepares you for further study at PhD level or for a career in research consultancies and research institutes.
92% of students from the Department of Business and Management were in work or further study six months after graduating. Recent University of Sussex Business School graduates have gone on to jobs including:
- HR assistant, Generali
- business unit manager, Ministry of Planning and Development
- HR reward analyst, Southern Water.
(HESA EPI, Destinations of Post Graduate Leavers of Higher Education 2017 survey)