- Duration: 1-year full time
- Start date: September 2019
- Apply by: 1 August (International), 1 September (UK/EU)
This highly practical course is designed to meet the challenges of today’s financial markets. You have the opportunity to specialize in financial technology (FinTech).
You’ll learn from academic staff who are globally renowned for their teaching excellence and extensive industry experience.
Our curriculum is designed in consultation with major professional bodies including Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP) and the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments (CISI).
How will I study?
You’ll study core modules and options in the autumn and spring terms. In the summer term, you undertake work on your projects.
You’ll be assessed by a combination of mid-term tests, coursework, and a formal examination after teaching has finished. The two summer-term projects are assessed by a combination of presentations and written reports.
These modules are running in the academic year 2018/19. We also plan to offer them in future academic years. They may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
Core modules are taken by all students on the course. They give you a solid grounding in your chosen subject and prepare you to explore the topics that interest you most.
- Portfolio Management
- Empirical Research Project
- Advanced Financial Modelling
- Essential Quantitative Finance
- Interest-Rate Sensitive Instruments
- International Equity Investments
- Market and Credit Risk Analysis
Alongside your core modules, you can choose options to broaden your horizons and tailor your course to your interests.
- Bank Risk Management
- Blockchain Finance and Cryptocurrency Markets
- Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Commodity and Energy Markets
- Corporate and International Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Data Science Research Methods
- Financial computing with MATLAB
- Financial Crises and Bank Regulation
- Financial Derivatives
- Institutions in the Global Financial Market
- Machine Learning
- Monte Carlo Simulations
How much does it cost?
- UK/EU students: £11,450 per year
- Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £11,450 per year
- International students: £20,750 per year
Note that your fees may be subject to an increase on an annual basis.
How can I fund my course?
Postgraduate Masters loans
You can borrow up to £10,609 to help with fees and living costs if your course starts on or after 1 August 2018. Loans are available from the Student Loans Company if you’re from the UK or if you’re an EU national studying for a Masters.
Our aim is to ensure that every student who wants to study with us is able to despite financial barriers, so that we continue to attract talented and unique individuals.
Our graduates are well prepared to enter any employment involving quantitative finance. Recruiters include: banks, corporate treasury, hedge funds, investment trusts and any firm requiring an in-depth and practical education.
Recent graduates have been employed by large businesses including Barclays, RBS, JP Morgan, HSBC and Deloitte as well as boutique finance and trading houses such as JDX and OSTC.
To give you a significant head start in your future career, you'll be paired with a mentor whose career path matches your own ambitions, who will share their industry expertise with you and give you career guidance.
On successful completion of this MSc you are qualified to apply for graduate training positions as:
- a quantitative risk analyst
- a quantitative investment analyst
- an asset manager in a bank, corporation, hedge fund or insurance company.
92% of students from the Department of Business and Management were in work or further study six months after graduating. Recent University of Sussex Business School graduates have gone on to jobs including:
- business analyst, HSBC
- data analyst, Princes Trust
- management graduate trainee, Lloyds Bank.
(HESA EPI, Destinations of Post Graduate Leavers of Higher Education 2017 survey)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 5, 2018