- Rated one of the world’s best in the 2018 Financial Times Masters in Finance Rankings
- Top 100 in the 2019 Global QS Masters in Finance Rankings
- Awarded CFA® ‘Affiliation Program’ Status
- Opportunity to apply to the prestigious QTEM programme
Our flagship finance Masters is ideal if you wish to study advanced financial theory and are looking to acquire expertise in investment analysis and fund management.
You will be challenged with an academically rigorous curriculum supported by practical experiences to ensure you gain the skills demanded by global organisations.
As one of only a handful of programmes globally to be awarded CFA ‘University Affiliation Program’ status you not only have the opportunity to gain your MSc in 12-months but also work towards Levels I and II of the CFA examinations, with dedicated support including:
- Enrolment in the Level I examination
- Rebate on the fees for Levels I and II*
- CFA® e-books and webinars
- Three-week introduction and training boot camp held at the beginning of September
- Dedicated workshops and events delivered by CFA® Practitioners
*Subject to providing a valid receipt
Choosing this programme gives you access to a range of additional activities and benefits as part of your studies including:
- 24/7 finance lab hosting major databases including Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters
- Global study and work experience opportunities
- Excellent Career support
- Database training leading to additional certificates
- Participate in the Business School Ethics Challenge analysing CFA case studies
- Apply to the Global CFA Investment Research Challenge judged by CFA experts
- Guest speakers and lectures by industry experts on finance topics
CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are registered trademarks owned by CFA Institute.
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
After your first year of studies at Exeter, you are eligible to apply and progress onto the QTEM Programme. You will spend an additional term studying at one of the prestigious academic partners in the QTEM Network, followed by a two-month internship.
Upon competition, you will receive a QTEM certificate demonstrating your high-level analytical ability, work experience and international exposure.
After your first year of studies at Exeter you will spend a second year at one of the following, world-class international institutions, resulting in two Masters degrees:
- Grenoble Ecole de Management in France
- EBS University of Business and Law in Germany
Alumni job titles
Our graduates are making a real difference around the world, here are some positions of recent MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management graduates:
- Fund Manager
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Corporate Financial Advisor
- Asset Trader
- Wealth Management Consultant
- Precious Commodities Trader
- Financial Controller
- Head of Finance
This programme is a 12-month full-time programme, studied over three terms, and is University-based throughout this time.
The taught components of the programme are delivered in the first two terms, with the third term, and most of the summer spent researching and writing a dissertation.
During the first two terms, we also offer four-weekend sessions delivered by CFA® trainers designed to provide specific help and training for students sitting the CFA® exams.
Learning and teaching
Our postgraduate taught programmes utilise a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
The aim of lectures is to give you information on ideas that are central to the module and to help you in developing your understanding of complex ideas. Many of the teaching materials for lectures are made available to you electronically to accompany the notes you take during the lecture. Lectures are given by a range of staff members, including leading professors, who integrate their latest research findings into the teaching that you receive. Guest lecturers, including members of industry, also contribute to some modules.
Seminars and tutorials
Seminars and tutorials involve an in-depth exploration of the issues covered in lectures as well as giving you the opportunity to discuss various concepts and theories and receive feedback on your written assignments.
Modules are assessed through a mixture of group work, coursework, project work and examinations; the weighting of each of these components will vary according to the academic requirements of the module. Examinations are normally held at the end of the module, in January and May/June.
Entry requirements 2020
- A 2:1 or above with honours in Accounting, Finance, Investment, Economics, Maths, Business or related discipline. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative* ability is essential.
- IELTS (Academic) At least 7.0 overall and no less than 6.0 in any other section.
- TOEFL IBT* At least 100 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
In order to apply for the MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management candidates must be able to demonstrate strengths in: Finance, Accounting, Economics and Mathematics.
*Mathematics modules may include, for example, Algebra, Calculus, Econometrics, Statistics, Probability or Optimisation.
If you are an international student, please visit our international equivalency pages to enable you to see if your existing academic qualifications meet our entry requirements.
Your employability is the main priority for us, we, therefore, offer a range of excellent career support and additional activities including:
- A brand new Finance and Banking Career Management Module, designed exclusively for the programme. This module covers mock application proves and an overview of the roles you can look to progress into.
- You can extend your programme with the prestigious QTEM Network, taking part in a one-semester exchange, a 1.5-month internship and participation in the QTEM Data Challenge leading to the QTEM certificate demonstrating your high-level analytical ability, work experience and international exposure.
- One-to-one appointments are available with our dedicated, highly qualified postgraduate careers consultants including CV workshops and mock interviews.
- Employer led workshops from top investment banks and financial service companies, to offer you advice and insights into their recruitment processes.
- Access to the Career Mentor Scheme to develop your professional goals by connecting with alumni in your chosen field.
- Weekly careers e-bulletins bringing you the latest career news and events.
- Financial database training leading to the award of the Bloomberg Market Concept (BMC) Certificate and the Thomson Reuters Product certificate upon completion.
- After graduation, you will join our network of over 120,000 alumni who are making a real difference across the globe in fields including find management, investment banking, corporate finance, trading and wealth management.