Choose Kingston's Finance MSc
If you want to pursue a rewarding, exciting and challenging career in the financial sector, this course provides the knowledge and skills you need, even if you do not already have experience in finance. It will give you a well-integrated knowledge of financial accounting, finance and investment, and management accounting, together with the ability to relate this to the wider issues of management and corporate strategy. It produces graduates who are prepared for high-level jobs in the financial industries.
- The programme has been developed in consultation with finance professionals at RBS Capital Markets, Commerzbank AG, Standard Chartered Bank and NatWest Bank to give you the practical, real-life skills employers require in this highly competitive sector.
- We are one of only a handful of UK universities that offer a Bloomberg trading room, giving you the opportunity to develop the hands-on skills employers want.
- There are regular talks from practising industry experts such as the former head of Financial Services Authority.
- As well as studying an international curriculum, you will meet and work with students from a wide variety of countries and cultures who can add international insight to class discussions and working groups, and give you a global alumni network.
- Kingston students can apply for Bloomberg certification. These industry-standard qualifications give graduates a huge additional advantage in the jobs market – and save time and money on extra studies.
- All our staff are highly accredited and experienced, and many have worked at high levels within the business: in the UK Research Excellence Framework 2014, two-thirds of our research activity was classified as internationally excellent or world-leading.
- Enjoy studying in the peaceful and leafy suburb of Kingston, which is within easy reach of central London. It has the lowest crime rate in London and has been rated London's happiest borough.
- Kingston Business School has joined an elite group of global institutions to be awarded the prestigious international accreditation by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). A hallmark of excellence in business education, the accreditation has been earned by just 5 percent of the world's business schools.
"Like for like, this is one of the top programmes in the UK...it was created and is taught by academics who have worked at leading international business schools as well as top global financial institutions." – Dr Mohammed Nurullah, course director
What will you study?
In this research-led masters, you will learn from recent journal articles and research papers, live data and up-to-the-minute theories and models. You will learn from real-life examples and case studies during the taught sessions. The programme has a balanced approach to quantitative and qualitative methods, and it provides candidates with the computer and research skills required by employers in this highly competitive sector.
You will develop your understanding of the purpose and nature of financial accounting and reporting, and look at how theoretical and conceptual issues integrate with operational and practical activities.
You will also look at the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental factors that influence an organisation's social responsibilities, and how these integrate with a company's strategic decision-making processes. You will examine the core theories of finance and investment, and how they can be used in practical decision-making contexts.
You will be assessed using assignments, case studies, formal examinations and a dissertation, and your assessments will also involve real-life problems and solutions.
The course is divided into two parts, with Part 1 made up of core and option module, and Part 2 made up of research and a dissertation.
September to December
You will begin with an induction and personal development programme, then move on to study core modules.
January to May
You will continue to study the four 30-credit pathway modules and add one option choice.
June to September
You will undertake a research project (30 credits). This will allow you to focus in depth on a specific area of the business finance function, increasing your career choices.
Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list.
- Financial Modelling and Research Methods
- Corporate Finance and Financial Statement Analysis
- Portfolio Theory and Investment Banking
- Financial Accounting and Financial Management
- Market-based Accounting
- Research Project
Option modules (choose one)
- International Money and Finance
- Fixed Income Analysis
Learn a language
You will have the opportunity to study a foreign language, free of charge, during your time at the University as part of the Kingston Language Scheme. Options currently include Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
Cost & Fees
Home and European Union: £10,000
Overseas (not EU): £14,500
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 27, 2018