MSc Finance and Investments
This high-quality teaching programme blends finance theory with practical applications and research tools. The knowledge and the skills developed enable students to complete a research-led dissertation on a specialist topic in the field of finance. In the summer term, students have the option of attending preparation and revision classes for the CFA Level One programme. The programme is recognised as having equivalence to the CISI Diploma and Aston Business School supports students in gaining full membership of the CISI as part of their studies. The facilities and equipment used in the programme are of the highest standard, giving you access to the most innovative tools available. These include a dedicated Reuters trading room facility, asset market trading simulations and a range of databases.
Outline of programme
The programme is designed to develop a knowledge of financial market structures, an understanding of the main decision-making areas in finance and investments and the ability to apply mathematical and statistical decision-making techniques. All students also have the opportunity to complete the Reuters Certification programme during their studies. Complete outlines for all modules are available online.
- Valuation of Investments (Double Module)
- Market Microstructure
- Quantitative Methods for Finance
- Financial Econometrics
- Finance Theory and Practice
- Business Finance.
Elective Modules (choose one)
- Trading Techniques
- International Finance.
Taught modules are assessed by examinations and coursework. The taught element of the programme is complemented by a substantial piece of research leading to the completion of a dissertation.
This programme is designed to prepare graduates for a range of careers in the financial and insurance sectors. Potential employers include investment and retail banks, specialist finance houses, investment management companies, business services consultancies, insurance/reinsurance companies, pension funds, regulatory bodies and specialist actuarial and underwriting practices. Recent jobs taken by graduates of this course include; Business Analyst - General Electric (Shanghai), Investment Risk Officer – BNP Paribas (Luxembourg) and Pricing Analyst - RBS (London). This programme is also appropriate for those intending to pursue a PhD in a finance or related area.
One of the following:
- A good UK honours degree (minimum lower second class)
- Equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University.
As well as:
- Two professional references – at least one must be from an academic referee
- An official academic transcript of your university grades to date
- A completed application form.
For International Students:
- An official academic transcript, with an official English translation, of your university grades to date
- International students whose native language is not English will also need to satisfy our English language requirements with one of the following:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of 93 overall, with a minimum score of 22 in speaking, 19 in listening, 26 in writing and 18 in reading. Please note that TOEFL scores are subject to terms and conditions.
- IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.5 in writing and speaking and 6 in listening and reading).
Pre-sessional English language programmes are available for good applicants whose English qualification falls just short of these requirements.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 1, 2018