It will provide you with a solid foundation in modern finance and investment and prepare you for a career in investment banking, financial management or further postgraduate study in a related subject.
The course has a distinct quantitative focus and includes both theoretical concepts as well as their applications. You will benefit from real-time access to our Bloomberg Terminals and you will learn to utilise data to analyse financial instruments and help make effective decisions.
You will study a variety of modules across two semesters as well as a summer dissertation. The taught component consists of five core modules plus two options from a wide range of modules. This includes topics in corporate finance, capital markets, and financial security valuation as well as a thorough grounding in research methods for finance and a chance to study behavioural finance.
'The course provides you with more than just the knowledge required to get started in the financial industry; it develops transferable skills such as working under pressure, working as a team, and being able to manage your time to work to several deadlines at once. It certainly met my expectations in terms of depth and application to real scenarios.'
Laith Al-Khayat, MSc Finance and Investment
Academic English preparation and support
If you require additional support to take your language skills to the required level, you may be able to attend a presessional course at the Centre for English Language Education, which is accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK. Students who successfully complete the presessional courseto the required level can progress to postgraduate study without retaking IELTS or equivalent.
Specialist business and management courses are available and you could be eligible for a joint offer, which means you will only need to apply for your visa once. Students who enter via the CELE route are exempt from paying the school's £2,000 course deposit. For more details, please contact us.
- This course is recognised by the Chartered Financial Analysts Institute's university recognition programme
- Ranked in The Financial Times top 65 Global Masters in Finance 2018 – pre-experience programmes
- Part of an elite group of EQUIS and AMBA accredited business schools
- 6th in the UK for research power in the latest Research Excellence Framework, with teaching underpinned by the latest developments
- An inspiring research portfolio worth £799m
- 91.1% of MSc graduates from Nottingham University Business School secured work, self-employment or further study within six months of graduation
- More than 19,000 Business School alumni connect you to a powerful global network of business contacts
Full course details
Across the autumn and spring semesters, you will take 120 credits of taught modules. Each module typically consists of 10 two to three hour sessions.
You will complete a 60-credit dissertation over the summer, and will be allocated an appropriate dissertation supervisor who will oversee your progress.
You will be assessed through a combination of individual assignments or group projects and written exams.
- Capital Market Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Quantitative Research Methods for Finance and Accounting
- Derivative Investment
- Fixed Interest Investment
- Behavioural Economics and Decision Making
- Computational Finance
- Financial Econometrics
- International Finance
- Islamic Banking, Finance and Accounting
- The Economics of Strategy and Market Structure
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
- The modules we offer are inspired by the research interests of our staff and as a result may change for reasons of, for example, research developments or legislation changes. This list is an example of typical modules we offer, not a definitive list.
Careers and professional development
This course is recognised by the Chartered Financial Analysts Institute's university recognition programme.
The CFA Institute grants this status to select institutions that have incorporated at least 70% of the CFA Programme Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) into their degree programmes. An affiliated university signals to employers that the course is closely connected to professional practice and helps students preparing to take CFA exams.
- finance and investment analysts
- higher education teaching professionals
- investment bankers
- IT business analysts
- management consultants
- marketing professionals
- public relations professionals
- university researchers
Postgraduate careers team
Our in-house Postgraduate Careers Team provides expert advice and guidance so that you can make an informed decision about the right career path for you.
As soon as you have accepted your offer of a place at the Business School, we can begin working with you to support your career planning needs. You can take part in pre-course careers discussions and take advantage of remote and online support through Career Leader, an online assessment tool which helps you to measure your business interests and motivations before starting your course. Our support continues throughout your time at Nottingham and after you graduate.
Employability and average starting salary
91.1% of postgraduates from Nottingham University Business School who were available for employment secured work or further study within six months of graduation. £25,000 was the average starting salary, with the highest being £57,200.*
* Known destinations of full-time home postgraduates 2016/17. Salaries are calculated based on the median of those in full-time paid employment within the UK.
Career and professional development
Whether you are looking to enhance your career prospects or develop your knowledge, a postgraduate degree from the University of Nottingham can help take you where you want to be.
Our award-winning Careers and Employability Service offers specialist support and guidance while you study and for life after you graduate. They will help you explore and plan your next career move, through regular events, employer-led skills sessions, placement opportunities and one-to-one discussions.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 1, 2018