MSc Finance and Financial Law
Duration: One calendar year full-time; two calendar years part-time
Minimum Entry Requirements: Minimum first degree with good grades in any subject equivalent to a UK upper second class honors. Relevant professional qualifications or experience will be considered.
Start of programme: September intake only (a three-week pre-sessional course in September is a requirement)
This programme takes an integrated approach to finance and financial law, including risk management, regulation, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, bond issues, and loans. In these fast changing subjects, the MSc Finance and Financial Law provides the specialist knowledge required in international banks and investment firms, legal practice, regulatory institutions and the academic world. The programme relates to both national and international finance and considers how financial and legal principles are applied in the context of actual case studies.
Graduates from the MSc Finance and Financial Law will be well equipped for a career with a financial institution, a commercial law firm, regulator, government department or indeed in general business.
Among the institutions with which our graduates are currently working are: Baronsmead Partners LLP; China Banking Regulatory Commission; Deloitte; JP Morgan Chase; Kleinwort Benson; KPMG; Merrill Lynch; Mograbi Real Estate, Israel; Rivers State Ministry of Finance, Nigeria; Telenor, Pakistan.
You will study two pre-sessional introductory modules (Introduction to Financial Analysis and Introduction to Law & Legal Method) followed by six modules, five of which are compulsory and one is elective (you will select one of the last five courses listed below), and you will also write a dissertation on finance and financial law.
Pre-sessional Introductory Modules
- Introduction To Financial Analysis (Preparatory course) - ( Unit)
- Introduction To Law And Legal Method (Preparatory course) - ( Unit)
- Corporate finance - 15PFMC070 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Finance in the global market - 15PFMC057 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Financial law - 15PFMC058 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Legal aspects of corporate finance - 15PFMC059 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Legal aspects of international finance - 15PFMC060 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Banking and capital markets - 15PFMC056 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Corporate governance - 15PFMC069 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Islamic banking and finance - 15PFMC074 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Regulation of international capital markets - 15PFMC061 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Risk management - 15PFMC071 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
A Student's Perspective
"I have found the MSc Finance and Financial Law degree particularly useful since it has added essentials of finance including but not limited to concepts of risk management, financial markets, banking and investment to my skill-set of legal expertise thereby giving me an edge and bringing me at par with seniors in the legal field"
Maimoona Cheema, Pakistan
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 18, 2018