This programme is designed to equip you with tools and techniques for investigating important economic issues. It provides a grounding in mathematical and econometric techniques, and goes on to discuss the foundations of microeconomics and macroeconomics and their application to new economic problems.
You will learn to express original ideas in academic papers and to test them with the use of econometrics. The study of econometrics covers linear and dynamic linear regression models, a wide variety of hypothesis tests and techniques for estimating systems of equations. Techniques are illustrated with economic examples, such as models with rational expectations, as well as consumption, production and money demand functions.
Economics and finance at Birkbeck has acquired an excellent reputation, not only for the quality of its research but also for the quality of its training. Employers recognise the quality of Birkbeck graduates in economics and finance. We take students who are determined to succeed and are prepared to undergo the rigours of a first-class training, whether they are studying full- or part-time.
Core modules reinforce economic theory with practical application. They include preliminary courses in mathematical and statistical techniques, which take place in September and have to be passed in order to progress to the programme.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Gives a solid basis for a variety of careers in business, government and academia.
- Enables you to work effectively when tackling economic problems of the sort faced by industry, banking, the civil service and researchers.
- Excellent reputation for the quality of our teaching, providing training for employers such as the Treasury and the Bank of England.
- The department enjoys an international reputation and stands among the foremost research groups in the country.
Careers and employability
Graduates go on to careers in banking and finance, the public sector, in industry, or in research and analysis.
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Part-time home/EU students: £ 5975 pa
- Full-time home/EU students: £ 11950 pa
- Part-time overseas students: £ 8750 pa
- Full-time overseas students: £ 17500 pa
Last updated May 12, 2017