Digital marketing communications are essential to the success of modern businesses. Get sought after expertise and an industry-recognised qualification.
The way we communicate, advertise to and reach customers has changed dramatically in the digital age. This new area of marketing is rapidly expanding and opportunities for employment are growing all over the world.
Accredited by the Institute of Data and Marketing, this is a specialist course designed to develop your knowledge and skillset in evidence-based, applied digital marketing strategy and campaign planning. We welcome students from all over the world, who have a passion for digital and want to develop their professional practice and enhance their marketing career prospects.
You’ll develop your knowledge and skills through a mix of collaborative teaching and group workshops with industry-skilled, research-active academics, live client briefs and specialist guest lectures.
The latest insights from industry
This course is designed around the latest advancements in the digital environment with units that allow you to develop specialist digital marketing skills sought after by employers.
Taught by experienced digital experts, you’ll gain unique insights and the vital skills needed to succeed in this rapidly expanding sector.
A world of opportunity
Outside the course, our internship and networking opportunities will offer you the chance to put your skills to the test and to make valuable contacts.
Whatever your preferred career direction, in-house, agency or freelance, studying with us will help you find your passion and ensure you have the knowledge and skills to succeed as a strategic digital marketer.
*From September 2020 this course will offer an internship route.
Features and Benefits
- An accessible masters degree – Suitable whatever your level of marketing experience.
- Triple crown - Study in a Business School that has prestigious triple accreditation from EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA.
- Industry connections – Learn from our team of experienced marketing professionals and take advantage of their links within the global digital and social media community.
- Study in Manchester – One of the UK’s most exciting digital cities is packed with creative companies on the lookout for talented graduates.
- No Exams – Finish your degree without taking pressurised exams. Assessment is 100% coursework.
- Applied Learning – Put your newly acquired digital skills into practice working on a live client brief. You’ll gain real-world experience and begin building your professional portfolio.
- Internships – Explore internship opportunities with agencies and industry partners in the region. This allows you to test possible career paths and build your work experience.
- Employability – Graduate with an industry-recognised qualification that will allow you to compete for a wide range of senior roles in the digital environment.
- Academic expertise – You will be taught by experienced academics, in the fields of research, analysis and publication.
"You will work closely with your teaching team, who all come from practitioner backgrounds, on coursework that is highly practical and applied. You'll develop qualities that will make you attractive to employers from day one."
Principal Lecturer in Digital Marketing
The digital era has transformed our lives – and marketing has changed with it, keeping pace and making the most of every innovation. It’s a rapidly evolving world and, with the right skills, one that’s full of opportunity.
It’s a course that will help you discover what it takes to deliver, monitor and measure targeted digital marketing campaigns. Crucially, you’ll also get the chance to apply the theory in practice, whether working on a live client brief or taking on an internship.
Home to a flourishing creative and digital sector, Manchester is an ideal location to develop your professional portfolio. In short, there are few better locations to pursue a career in digital marketing.
You’ll study nine core topics in total, covering areas including Strategy for Digital and Digital Measurement and Evaluation. From there, you’ll move onto masters-level study skills you’ll need to tackle a major piece of work, before going on to complete your dissertation project. You will also be able to tailor your studies with a choice of option unit.
The units below indicate the course content for entry in September 2020.
- Applied research project
- Applied research proposal
- Marketing in practice
- Digital masters level learning
- Digital measurement and evaluation
- Content strategy
- Rich user experience
- Organic and paid digital practice
- Strategy for digital
You can gain useful work experience through the Business School’s Postgraduate Internship Programme. With a short-term internship, you’ll not only show potential employers that you’re ready to get to work, but you’ll also gain some vital experience and make some valuable connections for your professional network.
While an internship involves at least 100 hours of work – starting any time between November and early August – how you do those hours is flexible. You could work full time during a break in your studies, or you might do a day or two a week throughout term time, fitting it around your studies.
Optional internship year (from September 2020)
When you have successfully completed your taught units, you will have the opportunity to undertake a 36-48 week internship. You will be supported by our Placement Office, who have extensive contacts with the industry and over 25 years of experience of helping students to find placements.
The Placement Office advertise a variety of opportunities, support and advise on the application and recruitment process and continue to support you whilst you are away from the University.
An additional fee applies to this internship.
Study and assessment breakdown
10 credits equate to 100 hours of study, which is a combination of lectures, seminars and practical sessions, and independent study. A Masters qualification typically comprises of 180 credits, a PGDip 120 credits, a PGCert 60 credits and an MFA 300 credits. The exact composition of your study time and assessments for the course will vary according to your option choices and style of learning, but it could be:
- Full-time 20% lectures, seminars or similar; 0% placement; 80% independent study
- Full-time 100% coursework; 0% practical; 0% examination
You'll need a good UK honours degree - at least a 2:2 - or the international equivalent. While we'll consider any discipline, this is a course that's ideal for graduates of a marketing or business-related subject.
English language requirements
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Fees and Funding
UK and EU Students
- Full-time fee: £9,250 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
Non-EU and Channel Island Students
- Full-time fee: £17,000 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits, a PGDip 120 credits, a PGCert 60 credits, and an MFA 300 credits. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of study provided the course is completed in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in study).
- Optional estimate: £600
All of the books required for the course are available from the library. The University also has PC labs and a laptop loan service. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. Students may also need to print their assignments and other documents. Campus printing costs start from 5p per page. Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop of up to £100 each year for books and printing.
By the time you graduate, you’ll have developed valuable skills and the critical knowledge to succeed in this exciting, constantly evolving industry.
Digital marketing now touches most sectors. Employment opportunities are expanding globally. Finding roles as a digital marketing executive, digital brand manager, social media or digital account executive or manager, or as a content creator or manager are just some of your options, you’ll also be able to explore roles in exciting new areas of this industry such as:
- CRM technology
- Marketing automation & optimisation
- Programmatic marketing
- Digital marketing consultancy
High-level operational and strategic planning roles could also be within your reach, where you may work on evolving digital campaigns. With your newly acquired knowledge and skills, you will also be able to pursue a freelance career in digital marketing communications or even create your own agency.
Our graduates are working in exciting roles all over the world, with companies including:
- The Co-Operative Bank
- The Hut Group
- SE10 PR
About the School
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years ... Read More