The MSc Development Studies is a new and exciting one-year (two years part-time) programme coming from the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies (SALISES). It replaces the previously taught degrees in Governance and Public Policy, Economic Development Policy, and Social Policy. The MSc in Development Studies truly fulfills the UWI’s strategic vision geared towards producing the ideal graduate with the requisite leadership training and an interdisciplinary grasp of the social sciences.
In addition to a firm grounding in contemporary social, political and economic affairs, the degree features a novel leadership seminar, a practical in-course approach to research methodology and a very useful technical writing seminar. Significant space is made available for the selection of electives from across the UWI, so that prospective candidates can, with the assistance of the SALISES faculty, design their own degree to suit existing or prospective job requirements.
SALISES offers a small group atmosphere, its own Documentation Centre and computer lab and a tireless and dedicated faculty (drawn from Mona, Cave Hill, and St Augustine) and administrative staff.
- 1 year full-time or
- 2 years part-time
- Flexible curriculum
- Outstanding faculty of Research Fellows
- An intimate atmosphere
- Easy access to computer lab and library
- Opportunities to be involved in research
- Aimed at producing leaders with skills in Development Policy, Research, and critical thinking
- For employment in non-governmental, international, government and private sector agencies associated with the national and regional development
Courses to be offered
- Leadership Seminar
- Understanding Contemporary Society and Development: Theories of the Present
- The Global Political Economy
- Small States “Development: Challenges and Opportunities”
- Research Methods in the Social Sciences
- Techniques of Applied Social Statistical Analysis
- Research Paper
- Advanced Academic English Language Skills
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Your choice of 3 Electives from across the University
The minimum requirement for admission to a taught masters' degree (i.e MA, MEd, MBA, MSc, MSW etc) shall normally be a Lower Second Class Honours degree (GPA 2.5) or its equivalent. You should also see specific Departmental requirements. In order to enroll in a Research degree (i.e. MPhil/ Ph.D.), you should have at least an Upper Second Class Honours degree (GPA 3.0) or its equivalent.
How to apply
- Complete the ONLINE Application form located at: http://sas.mona.uwi.edu:9010/pls/data_mona/uwm_adm.p_index. Log on to the website and select "APPLY FOR ENTRY TO THE UWI" and follow the instructions.
- The deadline for the receipt of completed application and supporting documents is January 31, 2019, for entry in September 2019 and April 30, 2019, for entry in January 2020.
- Final year undergraduate students are advised to apply for entry to the programme of choice by the stipulated deadline.
- Successful applicants can be enrolled in only one programme at The University of the West Indies in any one year.
- Please submit ORIGINAL copies of your supporting documents, after uploading them to your application online, to The Assistant Registrar, Office of Graduate Studies and Research, The University of the West Indies, Mona Campus by the stipulated deadline.
- Although you may upload copies of your certificates, you MUST also request your degree-granting institutions, other than UWI, to forward your OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT directly to The Assistant Registrar, Office of Graduate Studies and Research, University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica W.I. by the stipulated deadline. If you are a previous UWI graduate, you will not need to submit a UWI transcript.
- If you fail to submit the ORIGINAL copies of your supporting documents (including references) by the stipulated deadline, this will delay the processing of your application. Please note that we MUST receive original documents for verification purposes before a decision can be made on your application.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 24, 2018